C141 Won't Charge

/ C141 Won't Charge #1  

deere4320

Silver Member
Tractor
2008 Deere 4320 eHydro w/400X FEL and Unloaded R4's
Hi All,
My C141 8 Speed won't charge.....any idea's why??????

/ C141 Won't Charge #2  
Time for a little troubleshooting. Disconnect the battery and with the ignition switch on, check the resistance between the positive cable and the center terminal on the voltage regulator. There should be zero resistance. If there is resistance, determine the cause, could be: blown fuse, but engine wouldn't start; corrosion on any of the terminals between regulator and battery including the plugs on the regulator and ignition switch. Check that the regulator's metal case has a good ground. If that all checks good, reconnect the battery and regulator. Start the engine. With your multimeter set to ac volts, place the probes on the two outside terminals of your regulator. Output should be in the neighborhood of 25 -28 volts ac. If there is no output, turn engine off and unplug regulator. Check continuity between the outside terminals on the plug. Anything other than zero ohms indicates a bad stator. Also, on your highest ohm scale, check from either of the two terminals that you just checked to ground to insure that the stator isn't shorted to ground. If that is ok, reconnect regulator and set your meter to DC volts to test the voltage on the center terminal. Should read approx 12.5 -13.5 volts - should see an increase at higher RPM.:thumbsup:

Jim

/ C141 Won't Charge
Time for a little troubleshooting. Disconnect the battery and with the ignition switch on, check the resistance between the positive cable and the center terminal on the voltage regulator. There should be zero resistance. If there is resistance, determine the cause, could be: blown fuse, but engine wouldn't start; corrosion on any of the terminals between regulator and battery including the plugs on the regulator and ignition switch. Check that the regulator's metal case has a good ground. If that all checks good, reconnect the battery and regulator. Start the engine. With your multimeter set to ac volts, place the probes on the two outside terminals of your regulator. Output should be in the neighborhood of 25 -28 volts ac. If there is no output, turn engine off and unplug regulator. Check continuity between the outside terminals on the plug. Anything other than zero ohms indicates a bad stator. Also, on your highest ohm scale, check from either of the two terminals that you just checked to ground to insure that the stator isn't shorted to ground. If that is ok, reconnect regulator and set your meter to DC volts to test the voltage on the center terminal. Should read approx 12.5 -13.5 volts - should see an increase at higher RPM.:thumbsup:

Jim

Thanks for the help Jim!!!!

I found the terminal connector disconnected from the voltage regulator. Can you confirm that the voltage regulator is the small box with fins on it?

/ C141 Won't Charge #4  
You're welcome.
Reg has fins and three male spade terminals.
Friend who has a collection of approx 35 Wheel Horse tractors in all sizes suggested that you check the ground straps between the engine and the frame. Said that the C141 had the engine mounted to a plate which was shock mounted to the frame like John Deere did on many of their garden tractors.
Jim

/ C141 Won't Charge #5  
By the way, I too have a 4320 Ehydro. It's a great tractor, capable of so much more than the small frame CUTS. Use it primarily for mowing, but also have a loader, grapple and pallet forks. Can move more brush in an hour with the grapple, than two men could in a day or two. It's 2006 with 600+ hours. Can do some serious mowing with the 7 1/2 ft Woods finish mower or, for the rough stuff, a 6 ft Rhino bushhog with a 150 hp gear box.:)

/ C141 Won't Charge
Yess!!! I love my 4320.......i have an old beat up 6ft mower but it does a great job!