Cab tractor for around the home?

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #51  
I have certainly whacked some tree branches with my cab. You'd have to *really* hit a big branch to damage a cab window. That is a common misconception that folk have about cab glass. It is much more like auto safety glass than it is a plate glass window pane like in a house window. I've pushed branches to the sides going between trees that would have easily swept someone off of the seat of an open station. I'm not talking about going *fast* through the trees, but easing between trees in a hedge or tree row is a common thing for me.

It is a non-event.

2 weekends ago I was mowing pastures at 95 F outside temp. A/C in cab had me very comfortable and cool.

I can stand next to my tractor and reach in through the right side door and move my 3 pt lever up/down, whatever I need, while standing with both feet on the ground. You certainly don't have to climb in and out of the cab to move the 3pt lever while hitching/unhitching implements.

Look, you guys buy what you want, and that's fine.

But some of this stuff being stated is just pure hogwash.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #52  
My question is, if the primary use for a tractor was going to be for around the home would a cab be annoying?
Excellent question.
I can say that mine is not annoying. When the weather is harsh I am in HVAC comfort. When It rains I am dry, when it snows and is cold I am comfy and warm, When the midges, gnats, and mosquitos are swarming they just can't get to me.
And here's a good one. When I stumble upon a yellow jacket or baldfaced hornet nest, clearing brush piles or wherever, well they can try all they want, but they just can't find me. I am immune to their fury.

So is it a PITA to have to open the cab door to get in and out? Nope not at all. I haven't felt the slightest inconvienence.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #53  
Forgive my ignorance, What are limb risers and cab guards?
I had the same question I think it's this #10 would be the limb riser
Screenshot from 2022-08-10 20-22-43.png

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #55  
I have both open station and cab. I prefer the cab. Maybe I should get rid of the open station and get another cab. :unsure: Guess that is asking for too much.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #56  
You must be blind to think that you can't
see with the cab on a tractor as I can see
all 4 tires with no problem and just look
out the back window you can see very
clearly on hooking up your attachments
And for someone to think that an open
station is cooler than a cab with a/c is
something I would like to see unless its
in the winder time and that's the time I
turn on the heat! It dosen't faze me that
guys with open station tractors can come
up with all kinds of ideas not to have a
cab on their tractor however I really enjoy
my cab on the tractor with the temps hitting
107F degrees I was nice and cool and no
dust in the cab etc.

willy

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #57  
The best reason for a cab - hours of mowing in the hot summer/minutes of plowing snow in the freezing weather.
The best reason for NOT having. Using pallet forks, working in brush or woods, box blade and manual adjusting the 3 point/ and anything that puts strain on the glass door. (damn expensive stuff).

A cab looks attractive to me, but I cannot use it. I am off and on the tractor too often.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #58  
I think the answer here depends entirely on how, where and when you use your tractor. As already mentioned above, rain, heat, cold and tree cover all play major roles. Personal comfort is also a factor, especially as you age. You might want to take this into consideration if you plan to keep the tractor for the foreseeable future.

The roof on the L series Kubota's is made of plastic and easily damaged by a 3/4" branch. The lights are also easily damaged by even small branches.

I have both an open station and a cab tractor and I find it easier to get on and off the cab model. On the Kubota, the door has a sturdy handle which provides convenient support for mounting & dismounting.

On the Kubota anyway, the 3pt and remote levers are easily reached through an open window.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #59  
Since building here in '89 I've had a 3 open station, one open station that I built a cab for and a factory-cabbed model. Hands down favorite is the factory cab. Second choice would be the L3200 with the DIY cab. Still have the open station Ford we got back around 1991 for odds and ends. It's handy to have two tractors with different implements on some projects.

At 73 I don't have any trouble getting in and out of the cab. Can even manage getting myself in and out with our 2YO daughter. She loves to go along while mowing and with the cab, don't need to worry about her falling off.

The most enjoyable things about a cab are the already-mentioned HVAC (mowed yesterday in the heat with the A/C in the first setting), and not getting bothered by the dust, pollen and insects. It's also very nice to be able to run the sprayer and not drive through the overspray when the breeze shifts.

There IS one visibility issue that I've noticed. Depending on the angle of the sun, I occasionally get some reflection on the inside of the front window if I wear a really light colored shirt. Not a big deal, and if it's late afternoon i will often grab a darker shirt before mowing.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #60  
Hmmmmmmm,,,,
In hind sight,,, I was going out to purchase a cab tractor,,,
I ended up with an open tractor, that is much higher HP than the cab tractor would have been.

What a great decision!! I get the tractor work done with the larger tractor so fast, I do not mind the open station.

For the same money, you could have:
40 HP with a cab,,, or 60 HP open station,,, I would lean towards the horsepower EVERY time.

The last two winters We had snow storms that would have required multiple hours to clear the snow with a smaller tractor.
My 60 HP did it in thirty minutes.
This is sort of my husband approach.
We usually don't have a need to go out in the middle of a storm, so he just sits it out and when its all over he clears it quickly.
When he was still doing plowing and clearing for others I wanted him to have a cab. But he is cheep sometimes and seemed to know he didn't want to keep clearing all those driveways long enough to make a new one pay off for him

Myself I would welcome a cab and it might have me wanting to help more often.

Janet

Last edited: