Cab tractor for around the home?

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #31  
I second the cab with trees. In our pastures, I have clearanced all the lower limbs so as not to drag the cab through them. The wife was mildly upset by the limbing. However when faced with the mowing decision: "I limb them or you mow with the small open tractor..." she went with the limbing.

"Where you stand on an issue generally influenced by where you sit."

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #32  
Just get 1 of each cause there is no way one will do everything you want to do :) Having bought my first Cab Tractor about a year and half ago I can say its the first one I go for now and I have several to choose from but with that said there are places that I know it just won't fit.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #33  
Just get 1 of each cause there is no way one will do everything you want to do :)

Hmmmmmmm,,,,
In hind sight,,, I was going out to purchase a cab tractor,,,
I ended up with an open tractor, that is much higher HP than the cab tractor would have been.

What a great decision!! I get the tractor work done with the larger tractor so fast, I do not mind the open station.

For the same money, you could have:
40 HP with a cab,,, or 60 HP open station,,, I would lean towards the horsepower EVERY time.

The last two winters We had snow storms that would have required multiple hours to clear the snow with a smaller tractor.
My 60 HP did it in thirty minutes.

/ Cab tractor for around the home?
Hmmmmmmm,,,,
In hind sight,,, I was going out to purchase a cab tractor,,,
I ended up with an open tractor, that is much higher HP than the cab tractor would have been.

What a great decision!! I get the tractor work done with the larger tractor so fast, I do not mind the open station.

For the same money, you could have:
40 HP with a cab,,, or 60 HP open station,,, I would lean towards the horsepower EVERY time.

The last two winters We had snow storms that would have required multiple hours to clear the snow with a smaller tractor.
My 60 HP did it in thirty minutes.

That was one thing that I considered but the cost really is not that much of a difference. The difference between cab or not in the model I am looking at appears to be about $5,000. (35k vs 40k). On a monthly payment the difference is less than $100 and just isn't anything that I am going to lose sleep over. This is a 55HP model that should do just about anything I want to do.

I could use that cash towards a bigger model, but then it gets to be bigger than what I really need and would be hard to maneuver around the barn and stuff.

So, although this was something I thought of, from what I can tell in my situation it doesnt seem to make a difference for me as going with a higher HP tractor is going to mean a bigger tractor and that doesn't make sense in my current situation.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #35  
Unless you're going to be spending hours on your tractor or using it during inclement conditions, I'd recommend going with an open-station.

You'll save a heap of money on something that clothing can more than adequately compensate for.

If you're dead set on buying something for your comfort, get the best air-ride seat on offer... one with a BCVC.

Edit: Whoops, sorry... a But-Crack Ventilation Channel (BCVC)

I agree on open station for his usage also, but a trucker's air cushion, LTV for one brand, online for about $90 will solve the sweating seat problem. My cab unit comes with a cloth seat and is cool....to go along with the onboard air pump. Both options provide a smooth ride if tire pressure adjustment is added to the equation.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #36  
First let me say the understated, Texas is hot in the summer and dusty. that said I had a open tractor for several years and this past summer traded for a cab tractor, basically the same size. I will also say that my lot is only an acre but I do considerable work on the grounds in our sub division including maintenance on the community grass runway and for the last 6-8 weeks I have been mowing a neighbors field while he recovers from a hip replacement. Bottom line I have put more hours on the new B2650 cab tractor in the short time I have owned it then in the previous year with the open B2920. The cab is not only more climate controlled in the Texas heat, it keeps the dust and bugs out plus the occasional snake that might be thrown up. I will never go back Yes you do have to watch for trees, but the flip side is that occasional small branch you don't see that slaps you in the face is now not a problem. The one thing I can't do with the cab that I use to do is drive and work the high pressure hose and nozzle on my sprayer but I have a work around for that. Maybe its just age ( over 70 but very active) but creature comforts make ever job easier. My .02 cents worth

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #37  
I would NEVER own a tractor without a cab. First there are the branches etc. Then you have the dust, you can catch what they call dust pneumonia. What Are Symptoms of Dust Pneumonia? | LIVESTRONG.COM I caught it every time before I got a cab.
Then you have bees insects. I dropped into a bee hive I didn't see (killer bees) the swarmed the cab and it looked like a sun eclipse the inside of the cab went dark there were so many bees on all the glass. I work around brush with thorns, in an open cab I almost lost an eye for the brush coming in an open cab. Dust in your eyes in an open can is miserable, and wearing goggles and a dust mask is a pain.

During my 120 temps the AC is a blessing. In the rain cold etc, closed cab is a gift to myself.

Not for me, after all these problems with an open cab I dumped the open cab at a loos just to get rid of it for a closed AC cab, and have never been happier.

I don't care what a cab costs it's worth every penny.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #38  
I replaced my OS tractor with a cab model, best move I've made IMHO.

Not being in the cold while plowing snow was my motivation.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #39  
If you're looking for a tractor that is smaller and more reasonable for personal / home use, it may be difficult to find one that has a cab on it. They typically do not come with them. (Not to brag, but Curtis Industries, a.k.a Curtis Cabs, makes really awesome cabs for most small tractors that can be easily installed), and are a great choice for someone who wants the added protection from the elements, or even just as a safety addition. The cab doors lock as an added safety feature, keeps a comfortable temperature, and also shields from weather and debris from working. In addition, it could provide better air quality to those with allergies that make operating a tractor outside an uncomfortable task.

If you are interested in purchasing a Curtis Cab, there are plenty of dealers which carry them, and the www.curtiscab.com website shows our options in high detail so you know exactly what youre getting, and what is the right fit for you. You can also call (508) 853-2200, we would be happy to provide any assistance you may need.

/ Cab tractor for around the home? #40  
I have read many threads on cab vs no cab and the basic consensus is that if you can afford a cab you should get a cab. My question is, if the primary use for a tractor was going to be for around the home would a cab be annoying? I plan to use the tractor mostly around my yard and shop and also on a hunting property. Although it will get used at the hunting property a couple times a month it will mostly be used at the house.

Around the house: Moving pallets, assisting with vehicle work (lifting motors, moving axles, etc), landscaping, garden etc. A lot of these tasks are going to require a lot of on and off the tractor which is making me thick a cab could get annoying.

Hunting Property: Food Plots, landscaping/ponds (puddles/watering hole), wood cutting, etc.

I do have a need for snow removal but I can snowplow with my Jeep. I have a few acres of fields to do. I would like to expand upon this but nothing is in the works now so I can't really plan for it. My thought is that I would maybe be better off to go with a smaller tractor now and a second larger cab tractor later if my need for field work ever increases beyond the couple acres of field work I have now.
I have numerous tractors, one of which has a cab and it is used to do the big work and work required in hot, dusty, conditions, with long seat time periods. It is not a hop on hop off machine in what it is intended to do.

My best companion is an LS M2 25s which is a 25 hp stout diesel made by Yanmar, 4wd hydro with FEL that cost me $15,500 new a year and a half ago. I bought it to specifically do what you are talking about but find that I am on it every day doing something. I don't know how I ever managed without it. A cab would definitely be an inconvenience here and totally unnecessary.....but I don't blade snow in the winter and that may be a consideration for you.

There is a story as to how I wound up with this tractor/tractor brand, but I am thrilled with its performance and usefulness. Its easy on-off, hydro which is my first and can't believe I didn't buy a hydro before. I went with the 25s as it is 25 hp, plenty for what I do with it and isn't in the HD requirement category.

Last edited: