Calling all the armchair arborists

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I have started my addition demo of existing small covered porch. The rain got me though and I made a bit of a muddy mess. I want to lay some gravel down to keep the mess from spreading. However, one of my main concerns is the health of the tree in the background it is a HUGE red oak and we love it and are doing everything in our power to keep if happy through all this. I know I need to allow water to get to this tree and limit compaction around the roots. Do you think 57's or crusher run would be a better gravel type to put in the muddy mess? It is not really deep mud, jus that kind of surface mud, inch or 2 deep. This area will probably remain a gravel area after the renovations as it will be a firepit area. I am hoping to use crusher run because I need about 4 tons of crusher run at my moms down the street to make a pad for her prefab shed that is coming in a few weeks and I am going to have the guy dump half the load here and half at her house. What says ye? Will crusher run take care of this mud and will the tree be OK with it?
IMG_0542.jpg

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #2  
The tree will fine, if lets say you do 1 ft lift of backfill you would need to leave a box around the tree trunk so he doesn't suffocate and if you do a proper box the trees live fine. It is true that weight from traffic affect the roots and the tree but usually that apply for vehicle not really backfill. Although gravel is heavier but I don't think 2 or 3 inch would cause arm, sand or pure stone would be better for weight and water flow. Don't compact it and don't put it too close to the tree truck and perhaps water it a few times during the dryer months if gravel is used these would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
   / Calling all the armchair arborists
I am a little neurotic about this tree, so I am going to keep asking questions about this and see what your thoughts are. I will probably ask these same questions in Arbortalk forum as well to get a more advice from actual tree people.

But my next question is about gravel permeability. A bit of background: This tree is going to be losing A LOT of moisture in this area of mud because all of the water that runs through this area will be diverted into pipes out the other side of the property. ALL of the water that hits our property runs right through there, it is a 8' by 1 inch deep river when it is raining hard. I am sure the tree loves it. Whatever I put there I know needs to be permeable so whatever rain that falls from the sky in that area seeps into the ground to satisfy the tree roots in that area. I would love to make it all pavers but I think it is not permeable enough and root movement would probably cause crazy uneven pavers over time. So my plan is to use either the semi rigid or flexible permeable pavers. There are differnt grades of flexibility on them.
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 8.47.25 PM.png

I tell you all this to ask. Whatever I put down tomorrow is going to be the base of this system and that base needs to be permeable enough to allow water to make its way down to the tree roots. Does crusher run pack too tight to stay impermeable, especially mixed with some existing mud? Would I be better off with 57s or something similar. Again, the only reason I was going to go with crusher run was for the convenience of one trip on the truck. They are only bringing it a mile, so if I have to pay for 2 separate deliveries it is not the end of the world. HELP? I know I am over thinking it, but again... I LOVE this tree.

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #4  
I don't have an opinion on the rock BUT... the rule of thumb is to not drive over the area around the tree inside the dripline of the canopy. Good contractors will fence around trees like this to make sure equipment stays away.

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #5  
I am a little neurotic about this tree, so I am going to keep asking questions about this and see what your thoughts are. I will probably ask these same questions in Arbortalk forum as well to get a more advice from actual tree people.

But my next question is about gravel permeability. A bit of background: This tree is going to be losing A LOT of moisture in this area of mud because all of the water that runs through this area will be diverted into pipes out the other side of the property. ALL of the water that hits our property runs right through there, it is a 8' by 1 inch deep river when it is raining hard. I am sure the tree loves it. Whatever I put there I know needs to be permeable so whatever rain that falls from the sky in that area seeps into the ground to satisfy the tree roots in that area. I would love to make it all pavers but I think it is not permeable enough and root movement would probably cause crazy uneven pavers over time. So my plan is to use either the semi rigid or flexible permeable pavers. There are differnt grades of flexibility on them.
View attachment 867563
I tell you all this to ask. Whatever I put down tomorrow is going to be the base of this system and that base needs to be permeable enough to allow water to make its way down to the tree roots. Does crusher run pack too tight to stay impermeable, especially mixed with some existing mud? Would I be better off with 57s or something similar. Again, the only reason I was going to go with crusher run was for the convenience of one trip on the truck. They are only bringing it a mile, so if I have to pay for 2 separate deliveries it is not the end of the world. HELP? I know I am over thinking it, but again... I LOVE this tree.
personally I would recommend a layer of sand first so the water can get under the crusher run, but on the same token clay is very impermeable probably more then crush run and heavy rain like the one that would cause a 8' x 1'' river will run through and very little get in the soil. Also there is ways around it like a slow drip reservoir... a few small lines in on the ground with holes perforated in them and you have a elevated reservoir make it so it just drip and take like a month to empty then you can do what ever you like on top. But watch too much water is as worse as not enough.

1715073791583.png

1715074179172.png

Last edited:
   / Calling all the armchair arborists #6  
I thought for sure a large heritage live coastal oak was a goner when the homeowner regraded and raised grade 4’ at the tree.

That was 40 years ago and tree is as magnificent as ever.

Soil was not packed and lots of serpentine rock in the build up and we typically have half a year with no rain.

Nothing packed… just loader buckets dumped.

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #7  
I thought for sure a large heritage live coastal oak was a goner when the homeowner regraded and raised grade 4’ at the tree.

That was 40 years ago and tree is as magnificent as ever.

Soil was not packed and lots of serpentine rock in the build up and we typically have half a year with no rain.

Nothing packed… just loader buckets dumped.

1715078017434.png

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #8  
Agree but not what happened…

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #9  
I've learned my lesson about building permanent structures under "beautiful" oak trees. What a mistake.

/ Calling all the armchair arborists #10  
The “rule of thumb” for working around established trees is to avoid doing things that compact or cover the soil under the drip line of the tree crown (at a minimum). A wider no disturbance zone is better yet.