Traction Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow?

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #11  
You might want to look at which hole the drop links are in. Most manufacturers have a couple and often you have to drop them into the bottom hole to get good depth plowing.

You should be fine with this set-up. Remember a 12" plow should go 6" deep! a 14" is good for seven. Those are the respectful numbers from the people who build them. An inch or two one way or the other is possible.

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #12  
Spudland, if I do decide to take a plow off and make it a one-bottom....which one do I remove; front or back?
Thanks

Hmm, I dont think there is a "technical" answer to your question, but all the ones I've seen have had the rear units removed...

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #13  
Hmm, I dont think there is a "technical" answer to your question, but all the ones I've seen have had the rear units removed...
You're probably right but the 101 is offset. To help spread the stress on the 3pt, I'd remove the right hand so the plow is centered.

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #14  
The round disk in the back is the leveler. It's used to help set the depth of the furrow. It should be adjustable up/down. These are common on the older plows since many of the older tractors didn't have draft control. If you have draft control, you really don't need the leveler. The round disks in front of the moldboards are coulters. These cut the soil to help the moldboard turn a clean furrow.
Ops, I knew I shouldn't have spoken from memory. The round disk in the back is the rolling landslide. It should be set from 3/8 to 1/2" below your sliding landslide (opposite side of moldboard).

This link should help: FORD SERIES 101 PLOW

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #15  
I have the same plow I use with my 3520 but it does not have the front wheels yours has. Mine must have been removed at some point but it cuts just fine. I would keep the 2 point set up. If your is similar to mine it will do jut fine with it. the extension in the front is a pain because it hits the leveler and since my wheels are gone I have been thinking about taking a torch to it and removing it. Nice looking plow.

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow?
Luckily my place is only about 30 minutes away from Leinbach Machinery in Winston-Salem. It was like going to Mecca for farmers. I got a new set of plow shares and shins with bolts, was only 70 bucks. Now the fun of getting the old stuff off....drill, cut, or torch?

Art, thanks for the info on the top link, I do have another hole below the one its in, I'll give that a try.

CCWKen, hopefully I won't have to remove a plow. Deerchop has basically the same tractor and pulls the 101 so that's a big confidence booster.

Deerchop, I thought about the same thing cutting off that bar that sticks out but I'd lose the front coulter. I have grass in the field so I'll just see how it goes for now.

I won't get a chance to put the new shares on until after the Fourth (going to Michigan to visit my brothers).

My nephew shipped out for Iraq today - make sure you all keep our troops in mind this weekend as we celebrate our freedom!!

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow?
Here is the results of the new plow shares and shins.

Hopefully the video works.

YouTube - MOV00834.MPG

It's a neat thing to watch the grass get rolled right over and disappear underneath all that dirt when things are hooked up and set right. It took a bit of playing with all the adjustments but I think I'm pretty close. If the audio works the squeeking sound you hear is the rolling land slide actually working.
There's nothing like working in the dirt!!

Attachments

• DSC00841.jpg
    DSC00841.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 2,475
   / Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #18  
Beautiful.

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #19  
Very nice.....I got a single plow, but should of got the double.....Here's the video of mine in action after we had her setup...The hardest part is setting the depth and angle. I just put a hydraulic top lift, so adjusting next spring might me alot easier than getting on and off tractor..

YouTube - Soil prep for deer food plot

/ Can a John Deere 3320 effectively pull a Ford Model 101 2-bottom plow? #20  
I got a single plow, but should of got the double
I agree. It looks like it is turning over nicely in the video, but you should have got the 2 bottom plow.