Can a propane tank be repurposed?

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #41  
You will get someone hurt or killed with that idea
My entire shop air system is plumbed with PVC and has been for 30+ years, Running 150 psi no problems in all that time, not heated or cooled, from -20 to 110 F. Of course I'm not an attorney nor have I ever consulted one, ergo it can not be done.

1" Sch 40 is rated for 450 psi working and well over 1000 psi burst, sch 80 is rated for 630 psi and even higher burst. Ratings drop as pipe diameter increases.

Last edited:
   / Can a propane tank be repurposed? #42  
Air tanks at work are State Inspected for safety...

No one inspects my home set up.

When I worked at the Tool and Machine there was an ancient riveted air tank... it predated anything modern.

Inspector tested wall thickness and boss had to install a pressure relief and signage not to exceed so much PSI...

It could date from the 1800's

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #43  
When you refer to a one pound cylinder, are you talking about the little disposable propane tanks?
As others have said, do yourself a favor and just go buy a small tank. Roundup is caustic and trying to compare it to an air tank is like comparing apples to rock salt.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #44  
When you refer to a one pound cylinder, are you talking about the little disposable propane tanks?
As others have said, do yourself a favor and just go buy a small tank. Roundup is caustic and trying to compare it to an air tank is like comparing apples to rock salt.
That’s why most sprayers are plastic: herbicide and insecticides are corrosive to metals.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #45  
PVC for compressed air is a bad idea. So is trying to reuse a 1lb propane tank for compressed air just to save some money.

Buy the proper materials and be done with it.

For some information:
OSHA does not allow PVC for compressed air unless it’s buried underground. It’s assumed that when it explodes underground, the ground will prevent shrapnel from injuring humans.

PVC joints are inconsistent.
PVC degrades with age and becomes brittle.
PVC degrades in sunlight.
PVC degrades in cold temperatures.
PVC explodes, while PEX splits.
PEX would be a much better material than PVC.

Some information from a PVC pipe manufacturer.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #46  
5 pages and this will be just as if not more convenient?
20220705_155809.jpg

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #48  
MossRoad,

Your suggestion makes much more sense than kluging something together into homemade bomb. Thanks for a moment of sanity.

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #49  
I don't think you could find even one Amish farm here that doesn't have an old propane tank for storing air!

They pump them up twice a day with a small diesel engine, as they milk their cows/goats.

SR

/ Can a propane tank be repurposed? #50  
I've got a 4 gal sprayer cart on wheels so I don't have to pump and I can throw it in the Polaris ranger and spray on the go.