Can a Yanmar compare....

/ Can a Yanmar compare....
1danny said:
If you buy a Yanmar from a dealer that sells UTDA certified tractors it will have ROPS, PTO sheild, over run clutch, and a warranty. I sold Farmpro/Jinma for about a year but had too many problems with them. I would not buy a JD with Yanmar engine at this time because of parts problems. JD either won't or can't buy parts from Yanmar, ( at least thats what I've been told ) and Yanmar Parts dealers can no longer order JD parts from Yanmar. I have customers right now with JD tractors with yanmar engines that need parts and can't find them.

Danny

Thanks for the info on the UTDA certifications. JD's green paint is out of my budget, besides mostly they just use the moster sized ones around here. FarmPro is being marketed around here with a 30-60 month waranty, was that the case when you sold them?

Lions

BruceR said:
Lions_TX,
I live in East Texas and purchased my YM2000B from a direct importer just over the border in OK. I have no reputable dealers near me, but am actually close to some major "reconditioned" dealers. Bruce

Does the dealer have a web page? All i seem to be finding is reconditioned dealers around me too.

Thanks...
Lions

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #13  
Lions_TX said:
Ok so first of all, are you saying a Yanmar is a JD with red paint?
No, the Deere the models were different models. Then later on I think there were some nearly identical.
Here is what i got so far:
As with all tractors there are good dealers and bad. Some sware by rebuilds, others cringe at the very word. No matter what i buy i have to look at it like i am buying a used machine and need to anticipate at very least minor repairs in addition to routine maintenance. Some models are more difficult to get parts for. Not all tractors are what they first appear to be. Are those the types of things you were thinking when ya told me to search the old post?
Yep. That's the essence of it. By reading, learn what you need to know to distingish quality from junk when you actually go to look at a tractor. Ald I think the first question always is 'why did they have to paint it?'
If you could point out a few post you think may be important that would certainly help speed the searching process on my end.
You can probably find them as fast as I. When you learn to distinguish credible posts from rants then you probably know as much as you can learn from reading, and it's time to go look at tractors. Whatever you do, figure in a few hundred dollars reserve to fix unexpected stuff.

Personally, I've never had the sort of problems that a few posters describe. When I found my Yanmar I read as much as I could find about that model and discovered it is a version of the popular YM2000, with excellent parts availability and reputation for reliability. That helped me decide.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #14  
Bear this in mind as you search....if it were truly possible to sell quality at lower prices, wouldn't those of us who have been in the market for a decade or longer be doing so? Sometimes the cost of shipping might well be worth it for the quality.

Always ask ANY dealer for references, including some several years old..so you can gauge how well they help customers resolve problems. Most new references will be good. Also search this forum, and ask around on here, privately if you prefer. Most folks will answer you.

Good luck.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #15  
"Could you clarify what you mean by this? The prices and models i used as examples were from the local Mahindra dealer, he had dozens of them on the lot and several dealerships in the state. Mahindra is one of the more common brands around me actually, kinda having a hard time finding a local dealer that carries compact tractors besides JD. As far as parts, the dealer has the full parts manuals and from what i understand Mahindra has been making tractors for decades so what are you saying?"

The 2 models you referred to are new tractors, (admittedly 1 has 40 hours) that you are projecting into the future as used tractors, (non-existent). Does your Mahindra dealer have dozens of used tractors for you to choose from for a price comparison?

normde2001Gosh guys said:
No, only the one used machine, that must mean they sell like hotcakes right? I used an imaginary formula to speculate, yes. I basically assumed the value of the smaller tractor to be marked up by the dealer, minus the manufacturer and wholesalers profits. So what are you saying? That you are speculating a Mahindra will or will not hold good resale value?

Thanks...
Lions

LMTC said:
Bear this in mind as you search....if it were truly possible to sell quality at lower prices, wouldn't those of us who have been in the market for a decade or longer be doing so? Sometimes the cost of shipping might well be worth it for the quality.

Always ask ANY dealer for references, including some several years old..so you can gauge how well they help customers resolve problems. Most new references will be good. Also search this forum, and ask around on here, privately if you prefer. Most folks will answer you.

Good luck.

OK, so hypothetically i decide to buy a tractor from you, i send you a check and by next friday i have my new tractor. When i get the tractor theres a headlight out, some loose bolts in critical parts and a minor leak. Can i as a person of concious expect you to send a mechanic here with parts? Would you expect me to truck it from south Texas back to you?

I really have to look at the cost as total cost, time, labor and aggrevation all considered. Like i have seen you post, nothing is free. With all due respect i dont give alot of weight to references, i could give you 5 right now as to why you should buy from me and i dont even sell.

I feel that if i do decide to go with Yanmar it will probably be easiest on both me and the seller if i buy it used, as is. I would expect that would save me money based on the notion that nothing is free. I assume a dealer must anticipate the waranty being used and adds to the price accordingly. Kinda like "free shipping". So do such dealers exist?

Buying a tractor through shipping usually means i am gonna have no clue as to what i am buying other then others percieved perceptions of a dealer, thats not a route i am sure i want to travel.

If i am understanding correct i think that its time for me to call the local tractor farms and see if they have a tractor that fits my needs. Or better yet take a ride and visit so i can see what types and condition of tractors they have. At that point i should take notes on a few models that interest me and bring that info back here to figure out if its a good or bad model and parts availability, does that sound correct?

Thanks...
Lions

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #18  
I'll leave this thread alone after this post. I was trying to make some positive suggestions to you re: how to protect yourself in this market.
Can i as a person of concious expect you to send a mechanic here with parts?
That comes across as just sarcastic to me; you know the answer. If you buy a $40,000 new car with a three year warranty the dealer is not going to send a mechanic to you.

I assume a dealer must anticipate the waranty being used and adds to the price accordingly.
Our prices went up with the addition of a ROPS, PTO shield, clutch safety start switch, and other items going on all units now. When we went from 30 day warranty to 60 day to 6 months our prices did not change. Your assumption, at least in our case, is based on lack of knowledge. We simply learned from experience that the tractors we are selling are that good.
With all due respect i dont give alot of weight to references, i could give you 5 right now as to why you should buy from me and i dont even sell.
So you're saying you have 5 friends who are willing to lie and say they bought a tractor from you?

Good luck. You're not interested in our part of the market.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #19  
I have read this whole post and it seems as if you are trying to get Yanmar owners to talk you out of buying a Yanmar. I don' think that is going to happen here. Mostly because the majority of us Yanmar owners have had nothing but good experiences with these machines. As far as sending a mechanic to your home to fix your tractor once it was shipped, You have to remember these are NOT new machines and they are VERY easy to fix yourself anyway.

I have a YM 200BD and the 4wd gear went out of it ( my fault really) and I just made a call to LMTC and got the parts i needed in 2-3 days and fixed it in about an hour by myself and that was what i consider a major fix. Not to mention if you are mechanically challenged ANY tractor dealer will fix it for you I'm sure.

the bottom line is this. Yanmar tractors didn't get their solid reputation by accident. They are extremely easy to fix if a problem does occur and parts are readily available and the price of the tractors can not be beat.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #20  
Lions,

I believe you’re searching for certain reassurances from members and dealers that participate on this forum concerning a future purchase. You can only be sure of one thing if your shopping for a bargain Yanmar tractor…it’s going to be used.

It isn’t realistic to think anyone here is going to convince you that a specific model Yanmar is going to fill your needs 100% nor be absolutely trouble free in years to come. You are, however, addressing a forum of members with this make of tractor who are quite happy with their purchase, the products’ performance, price and the wealth of information exchanged right here on this web-site.

Perhaps a used tractor will not meet your expectations and a new Chinese brand will. Plus it will arrive without loose bolts, minor leaks or a headlight out (except for the ones I know about). Good luck with your search.