Can a Yanmar compare....

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #21  
LionTx, ignore Wayne, he can be somewhat hard at times, does not mean it. You are going through what most of us have already. So, here goes: Mahindra is/was a reputable tractor manufacturer the last time I did my research. Things to look for in the Mahindra, where is the engine and/or the transmission built? India, China, Japan? If it is Chinese forget it. What engine design do they use? Their own, a Japanese model, Chinese, other? Chinese and other forget it.

Mahindra, although an older manufacturer has limited dealership support. In the past 10 years similar efforts for Russian, Chzech, a couple of Chinese tractors have been introduced here and gone out of the US markets. Moral, just because they have been building tractors for decades does not mean they will continue to sell and support here in US. Look at Yanmar.

OK the final issue, quality. Not familiar enough with Mahindra to comment, but I am with Yanmar. Yanmars are essentially bullet proof. Likeany mechanical device it wears, and the Japanese were not incentivized to take superior care of their tractors. Left out doors, a lot. Therefore, some small number of Yanmar imports will have more wear, but that's why Wayne and the other dealers here go over them.

JD used Yanmars because they could not compete. JD bought modified (sometimes slightly modded) Yanmars and kept them basic and simple. While yanmar constantly upgraded and improved. If they shared components then it is likely JD got the Yanmar updates, otherwise Yanmars were year by year more improved.

Leading to this question, how many 20 -30 YO Mahindras are in your area? There are trens of thousands red and green painted Yanmars here in the US. I hope that answers the quality question.

Good luck, drive as many of them as you can. Make decision, and don't second guess that decision.

Come back here, Tractorbynet, for advice, whichever make or model.

BTW, what are they saying over at the Mahindra forum? Ask there for advice if you haven't already.

/ Can a Yanmar compare....
LMTC said:
I'll leave this thread alone after this post. I was trying to make some positive suggestions to you re: how to protect yourself in this market. That comes across as just sarcastic to me; you know the answer. If you buy a $40,000 new car with a three year warranty the dealer is not going to send a mechanic to you.Our prices went up with the addition of a ROPS, PTO shield, clutch safety start switch, and other items going on all units now. When we went from 30 day warranty to 60 day to 6 months our prices did not change. Your assumption, at least in our case, is based on lack of knowledge. We simply learned from experience that the tractors we are selling are that good.So you're saying you have 5 friends who are willing to lie and say they bought a tractor from you?
Good luck. You're not interested in our part of the market.

Well thanks for the positive suggestions, i just find it odd that you go from an invitation of messaging people for advise, to turning your back on me in one post.

If my choice of words was poor, my appologies. Perhaps i should have phrased it as "a dealer" instead of "you". I was reffering generally to any dealer.
NO, i would never expect a dealer to send a mechanic to me anymore then i would expect them to expect me to pay for shipping it back. Any dealer more then 100 miles from me can not offer me a waranty, as i can not see how, beyond parts, they could honor it.
If i bought a 40,000 car from a distance and it was under full waranty, i would ensure that i had in writing where i could bring the car locally for service if it failed within that period. In addition to that i am protected by numerous laws as far as merchantability and the lemon laws. I would expect the same from a 40,000 new tractor.
I think it is good that you ensure your machines have all the recomended safety equiptment installed.
My assumption on higher prices for a waranty is valid and based on a broad spectrum of different purchases i have made, again it was a general statement and should have read "a dealer". My appologies if it does not apply to you or if you took it personaly. I also happen to know that "tampering" with a unit usually voids a waranty, so if i tear the head off any machine i buy and discover it has "bad, missing, altered, or other nonsense" parts, my waranty goes out the window.
Buying across state lines is a risky business. If a deal goes sour, it leaves the burden of proof on the buyer, and juristiction where the tractor was bought.
Yes i have 5 friends, that also have 5 friends... Fortunately i dont ask people to lie as i have a conscious, it does not mean there are dealers who would not. I have had my share of false references thanks. I wonder how many dealers would willingly give the names of disatified customers.

"You're not interested in our part of the market."... Thanks for telling me what i am and or not interested in.

I'm just a guy trying to buy a tractor and not get burned and or not over burden a dealer in the process. Thanks again for your positive suggestions.

Lions

scesnick said:
I have read this whole post and it seems as if you are trying to get Yanmar owners to talk you out of buying a Yanmar. I don' think that is going to happen here. Mostly because the majority of us Yanmar owners have had nothing but good experiences with these machines. As far as sending a mechanic to your home to fix your tractor once it was shipped, You have to remember these are NOT new machines and they are VERY easy to fix yourself anyway. I have a YM 200BD and the 4wd gear went out of it ( my fault really) and I just made a call to LMTC and got the parts i needed in 2-3 days and fixed it in about an hour by myself and that was what i consider a major fix. Not to mention if you are mechanically challenged ANY tractor dealer will fix it for you I'm sure. the bottom line is this. Yanmar tractors didn't get their solid reputation by accident. They are extremely easy to fix if a problem does occur and parts are readily available and the price of the tractors can not be beat.

Actually i am looking for information on how reliable Yanmar is in general. I fully realize that if i choose one that i am buying a used machine. I cant really remeber how easy they are to fis as i have never serviced one. That is why i asked for comparison to other tractors. Actually i have checked with 2 of my local dealers, niether of them will service grey market machines, basically i am on my own once i commit. The reality is that a solid reputation in one circle turns to jello in another. Thanks for your feed back i will add it to my growing list of homework assignments.

Lions

mark777 said:
Lions,

I believe you’re searching for certain reassurances from members and dealers that participate on this forum concerning a future purchase. You can only be sure of one thing if your shopping for a bargain Yanmar tractor…it’s going to be used.

It isn’t realistic to think anyone here is going to convince you that a specific model Yanmar is going to fill your needs 100% nor be absolutely trouble free in years to come. You are, however, addressing a forum of members with this make of tractor who are quite happy with their purchase, the products’ performance, price and the wealth of information exchanged right here on this web-site.

Perhaps a used tractor will not meet your expectations and a new Chinese brand will. Plus it will arrive without loose bolts, minor leaks or a headlight out (except for the ones I know about). Good luck with your search.

What i am looking for is enough info to make an informed decision when i buy a tractor. I agree that one tractor seldom fits anyones needs, nor do i feel that one make is exclusive to every need. I feel confident that for my applications i need a 19-24 hp FrWD assist with a loader for the record. I have seen many online, in numerous places, within the distance i am willing to travel. I am only in the initial stage of purchase, comparing. As i go along i hope to be able to continue to come here and get feed back on my finds and concerns. Chineese, Japaneese, Indian, "American", who knows. I am simply searching for input and information.

As i posted already when it comes to Yanmar : "As with all tractors there are good dealers and bad. Some sware by rebuilds, others cringe at the very word. No matter what i buy i have to look at it like i am buying a used machine and need to anticipate at very least minor repairs in addition to routine maintenance. Some models are more difficult to get parts for. Not all tractors are what they first appear to be. I should be prepared to have parts that dont belong, ie., mismatched parts. There appears to be some division among the dealers/importers/merchants, in reguards to what is "right and wrong". There presently does not seem to be a central universal distribution system."...

I also understand that when it comes to tractors sometimes, some people take things way to personal instead of for thier face value. I may have to travel a bit to get the tractor the fits my needs. I should concentrate on purchasing a tractor, then look for impliments as i go. Its dangerous to use impliments that are not rated for the pto hp. Most people who own Yanmars are satified with thier purchase. Some people are never satified. It will pay later the research and better informed i get now, i may really pay later if i dont.

And that some, like my old man neighbor, know it all, for clarity he's convinced i need a 40 hp JD, Case, or Ford to take care of my 3 and 1/2 acres. When i even mention 4wd he cringes and ask for what. The loader i need he feels is a total waste of money, although i can think of a dozen reasons to justify it. The only impliments he thinks i need is a 5-6 foot brush hog and an equal sized double disk.

I am looking for assurance and info, thanks for your input. Good, bad, or indifferent, i am taking it all in at the moment.

Lions

Blackd, thanks for the heads up.

I am not so sure who wayne is but i try to look at each post objectively and learn from it. Thanks for the assurance that most people go through the same thing. It makes swallowing things much easier.

The Mahindra was just to have a base to compare things to as it is my closest dealer and seemed like the best starting point. I wont adress the questioned posed until i see more brands and machines. Thanks for pointing me to the right board and some of the questions i will need to ask if i seriously consider them.

I do see your point about track record. Basically in my area its JD. After that i see alot of old fords around and a mix match of other older equiptment. I am sure i could score an old running tractor for under 1500 around here. If i wanted to rebuild an oldie myself, i am sure as low as a couple of hundred, if not for free.

Basic and simple is a good feature for me as it seems like i am going to become a back yard mechanic at some point of owning any tractor or have to pay a local mechanic. So the more simple the better. Second guessing is not an option thats why i am exploring all the options.

Thanks for the input...
Lions

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #26  
Did you ask why they wouldn't service it? You aren't asking them to warranty the tractor. I guess they don't like having business. I wouldn't worry about the service issue. They are VERY easy to fix yourself, unless you have engine trouble, then any diesel mechanic will most likely help you out.
There is no tractor made that is bullet proof but the Yanmar is a very good tractor. That is why I bought one. That and I didn't feel like paying a few grand for green paint and a JD sticker.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #27  
Mis-matched parts are normally only a feature on the "factory reconditioned" models.

Bruce

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #28  
Lions TX, the used tractor industry works differently than the auto industry. You will see warranty offers of varying quantity. You have people here offering warranties on 20 to 25 year old goods. Find a used car dealer that will do that. No Wayne would not send a mechanic to your house to fix the tractor, he would however send you the parts. That is how many of the dealers in the grey market tractor business work. If the customer can't get the tractor to the shop to be repaired, the warranty is simply a parts only warranty. If you are uncomfortable doing any repair work or don't have anyone to service the tractor, stay away from the used tractors or even the new Chinese tractors. My little nugget of advice would be to read the Yanmar group and learn a little bit about the different dealers out there. A repainted tractor does not mean that it is one of the Vietnamese rebuilds. There are a few guys out there that simply take the tractors out of the shipping container and put a FOR SALE sign on them and then there are the Vietnamese rebuilts that claim that they are completely rebuilt. Find a shop that sells something in between. They probably start with a better quality of tractor and fix what needs to be fixed. I have seen a few perfect specimins, but most have something that needs to be done. Bearings and seals, seats, batteries, fluids and filters should have been replaced. There is nothing wrong with a dealer doing some sprucing up. If you can actual take a look at the tractor you are interested in, run it at the dealers place. Check every gear, both ranges, and all of the PTO speeds. Ask them to put a rotary cutter on the tractor. Test the 3 point for any problems with the lift. Engage the PTO and cut some grass. Try it out as long as it takes to get the engine up to operating temperature and then some.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #29  
It don't matter were you get a tractor from .You better check it real good and if you get it out of state you need to tell ever who is bring it not to be in a hurry . So you can run it for and hour with something behind it. these tractors are old , Don't care if they come from a dealer on here or not . You need to check it out good. A friend of mind got a yanmar and it was wore out.Started to fall apart with in 4 hour after he got it.It had new paint a ROPS it look good but that was all there was to it.He had to get a attorney to get his money back.Then Len Shaffer who ever he is . sold him a Yanmar it was not a pretty tractor it did not have new paint on it .But it was as solid as a Rock. So you can get a bad one from any were .and Yanmar is as good as you can get .its like any thing that is old you don't know what was done to it before you got it and no one dose.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #30  
Here is another issue of concern, it is my understanding that in the places these tractors are originally used they are used under a co-op system.

Not used by a co-op, bought from Yanmar and sold by a co-op new to farmers.

Danny