Disc Harrow Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #11  
You can remove 2 disc blades on each side, or how ever many you need, but you'll have to put the spools back on, and leave the axle the original width. Most axles I've seen are only threaded on the end 3"- 4".

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #12  
Good point. A friend has an enourmous 1" impact gun, torque multipliers and pretty much the biggest sockets I have ever seen to deal with disks.

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm actually Indonesia and there is a large plantation nearby that's going under. So they're letting go of equipment. Am trying to squeeze all that I need on a shoestring budget till I can present a proof of concept (that it can make money) before opening the taps on the real infrastructure development. Those guys are using real beasts 150-250 hp. I had to scrounge in the yard for something small. They have harrows and a really nice 4 shank mouldboard which maybe if I can take one shank off might be usable (like the
planned harrow).

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #15  
There is no simple answer. Is the disc a three point hitch model or a tow behind with hydraulics. Is your tractor four wheel drive? How heavy is your tractor? Are your rear tires loaded? Are your tires good? How wet is the soil? Disking is affected by all these. I pull a big offset disc 20 x 22” , with my 70 horse 4wd Kubota, that weighs 4000 pounds. It works great, but it’s all my tractor can handle if the soil is wet. But I can raise it (to decrease depth of cut) to compensate if it starts to bog down. Of course removing a couple of discs will reduce resistance. So most likely, you’ll be ok. Nothing is worse than a too light disc on hard ground. It just won’t “bite” and it takes multiple passes. As another said, many people have to add weight to make a cheaper, lighter disc cut. I had a 20 x 20” three point hitch model that weighed about 800 pounds, and it was not very effective on ground that had not been plowed.
With my big disc, plowing is not necessary. It will break up hard ground. I only bog down if it’s too wet. IMG_0144.JPGIMG_0150.JPG

To answer your questions, it's trailing, 4wd, and all tires have water in them and the back have weights on. The area they were used in was quite rugged (mine as well actually). I am hesitant still to flip the tires though as some other units have. It has a hydraulic jack with tires so I should be able to extricate myself out of some bog.

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #17  
You might find it to be a disadvantage to having the arbor bolts sticking out from the frame if you just remove the disc blades.

/ Can I buy a big disc harrow and reduce by removing blades #18  
Newbie here. Bought a second hand 75hp. I reckon I should be getting a 16 x 24 disc harrow.

There is a great deal on a 20x24 second hand which I know is too much.

Any experience or recommendation if I can get the big harrow and remove 2 discs each row (one on both sides)? Thanks in advance.

Sure you can. I modified a 12-ft wide wheel disc to about 9-ft wide by removing the two outer discs on each axle.

Wheel disc-1 (1).JPGWheel disc-1 (2).JPG

Good luck

Awesome. Thanks so much!