Can you braze a hydraulic line?

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #11  
I’m guessing you meant flare fitting not compression. Compression can’t handle hydraulic pressure.

Compression fittings are the perfect choice for high pressure applications. In combination with a high pressure tubing material like steel, large compression fittings can often be used at pressures in excess of 10,000 psig.

Fittings do come in different ratings. The local hardware store will likely not have the higher rated ones.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #12  
Maybe you aren't suppose to ?, but I've done it on a farm tractor steel line and it held just fine.

SR

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #13  
I had a FEL tube pinch and when I straightened it out it cracked. I blew it out with solvent and then air and silver brazed it 14 years ago.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #14  
Sounds like the biggest challenge is the inability to remove it. Will be hard to purge it and clean the interior so the repair will bond to the cleaned metal.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line?
Thank you everyone for your replies. The space constraints around this tube pretty much eliminate the option of having any other fittings such as compression fittings or couplers that one would have to get a tool on to solve the problem. I will blow the fluid out of the line with nitrogen. Still mulling over the feasibility of getting a solvent through the line... Sand it down to bare metal and try brazing it.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #16  
I have a steel line I mig welded on my backhoe several years ago that is holding up fine. BUT I was able to remove and clean it. I also had easy access to weld all the way around.

I don't see a problem with brazing a line IF you could get at it and get it clean to start with. Not having room to even use a compression fitting seems like it would make brazing difficult.

By the way, just to eliminate any confusion. I have the tube disconnected at both ends. It will move an inch or so but it is about 4 ft long with compound bends and angled sections on both ends.

Attachments

• PXL_20211205_023738228~2.jpg
    PXL_20211205_023738228~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 116
It's definitely not going to be fun.

Attachments

• PXL_20211128_214745500.jpg
    PXL_20211128_214745500.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 150
   / Can you braze a hydraulic line? #19  
Since you already know how to silver braze clean well with solvent and braze a patch over the split. Since the tube is defective in at least the split area I wouldn't just braze it, I think a patch is necessary.
Eric