Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh!

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #31  
Must be different here in NS. I had quotes from two different dealers and both had no GST which is 15% here. My purchase price was just over $54K so I saved something close to $ 8K. I made my purchase in 2011 so I'm unaware if the rules changed but I still see them advertised with no HST on units with 60 HP on the PTO

60 PTO HP is the magic no 15% HST. We have blended Provincial and Federal tax. Places that don't only get the Federal 5%. Doesn't matter if "farm" or not, still no GST on tractor over 60 PTO HP.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh!
60 PTO HP is the magic no 15% HST. We have blended Provincial and Federal tax. Places that don't only get the Federal 5%. Doesn't matter if "farm" or not, still no GST on tractor over 60 PTO HP.

Confirms what I was told.

Looks like your blended 15% HST has at least one benefit, :thumbsup:.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #33  
Have seen a couple of places in Ontario just recently advertising used tractors with 60hp or more for sale with no tax because of the HST exemption.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #34  
I never heard of them doing that with new, but I know you can't even get a used Superduty or F150 from Ford dealers in my town. The dealers have waiting lists of US customers that take them as soon as they come in.
All you ever see for sale is ones that are 2014 and older.

One of the two dealers in the city close to me just got in a new white 4x4 F350 Lariat crew cab dually. $108,000.00!!

I'd hate to see what a King Ranch or Platinum is, LOL.

Apparently, US dealers are constantly on the prowl for used F1 50s up here.

Mainly because they are cheap. When I gave up my two-year-old 2014 lease 3 years ago, the payout was only $25,000. That’s not even $19k US!

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #35  
I was just reading this and not sure I understand the tax stuff. I live in the USA and am looking at a used mower at a JD dealer in Canada. What taxes and expenses do you typically see buying across the border?

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #36  
Here is my understanding from the Canadian side of the border. If you have the item shipped to you by the selling dealer then there would not be any local sales tax payable. If you pick up the item in person then you will pay the local sales tax at the dealer. I say 'local' because sales tax varies by Province. I do not know what taxes you will pay entering the USA with the item.

If the item was manufactured in Canada, USA, or Mexico, then there should be no duties because of the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Your President has forced the renegotiation of NAFTA so one day all the duty rules may change depending on the item. These new rules have not come into affect yet.

Don't take this as absolute fact, it's just my understanding of the situation.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #37  
"no sales tax because over 60 PTO HP"

Is this just in your province or Ontario also? I've never heard that before.

Is in Ontario,at least at present!

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #38  
Apparently, there used to be a tax rebate that foreign visitors could get on the purchase things here in Ontario, but that program ended on April 1, 2007.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #39  
Here is my understanding from the Canadian side of the border. If you have the item shipped to you by the selling dealer then there would not be any local sales tax payable. If you pick up the item in person then you will pay the local sales tax at the dealer. I say 'local' because sales tax varies by Province. I do not know what taxes you will pay entering the USA with the item.

If the item was manufactured in Canada, USA, or Mexico, then there should be no duties because of the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Your President has forced the renegotiation of NAFTA so one day all the duty rules may change depending on the item. These new rules have not come into affect yet.

Don't take this as absolute fact, it's just my understanding of the situation.

Thanks good to know.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #40  
Generally you'd be exempt from a local tax if the item were shipped out of province (or country) as the vender is not able to collect/remit outside of his jurisdiction.

BUT I did say shipped! not you pick up as then the delivery is at the dealer's and he is obliged to charge tax.

The work around is to use a common carrier (UPS, Fedex or any common carrier, even Can post for small items)
Naturally this adds some cost but up to U to decide.
That selling dealer MUST be able to prove it was shipped otherwise he is on the hook for all local taxes.

Now to be totally on the up and up when U get home the onus is on you to remit your local taxes.