Can't shorten PTO shaft because of metal collar?

/ Can't shorten PTO shaft because of metal collar? #1  

comb92

Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Hi everyone. I purchased an Agrimetal BW 1600 (PTO blower) for my BX2380 a few weeks ago. Everything looks great but I'm having trouble with cutting the shaft. I measured it up and found I need to take about 5.5" off. Of course, I need to take that off both metal shafts and both plastic shields. Trouble is, the PTO shaft that came with the attachment has a metal and plastic collar on one side of the shaft that seem immovable. The plastic piece in particular has some grey stuff that seems to be some kind of bonding agent. Pictures below. They're only about 3" from the end so I'd be unable to remove enough material. No video or forum I look at mentions this on any PTO shafts - every time I see one they're just the bare metal shaft. Any suggestions? Did I get sent the wrong shaft maybe or am I just missing something? Seems like maybe this shaft isn't meant to be cut that much? Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• PXL_20210613_171057148.jpg
    PXL_20210613_171057148.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 303
  • PXL_20210613_171111809.jpg
    PXL_20210613_171111809.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 287
   / Can't shorten PTO shaft because of metal collar? #2  
Kinda looks like a centering piece for the outer shield, you might see if the epoxy softens with a little heat so you can slide it up above the cut, or just do without it

/ Can't shorten PTO shaft because of metal collar? #4  
Is that not a nylon set screw in the nylon part?

/ Can't shorten PTO shaft because of metal collar?
Kinda looks like a centering piece for the outer shield, you might see if the epoxy softens with a little heat so you can slide it up above the cut, or just do without it
I agree, not sure why there's a metal piece and plastic though but when I put the shaft back together it seems like it centers the smaller OD plastic shield so that it doesn't have any play. If I cut to where I need to, there will still be some of the metal collar left so I guess as long as I de-burr it, it should be alright. Thanks.

Crap you don't need. Cut it where you need to, deburr, lube and use. Cut the shields 3/4" shorter than the shaft tubes so you can align the shafts then the shields when assembling.
That's what I'm thinking...if I cut it to where I need it, there's still some metal collar left...if all its meant to do is center the plastic shield from the other side then it'll still do its job.

Is that not a nylon set screw in the nylon part?
I don't think so. It's a "knub" of some sort but not a screw. Even if it was, the epoxy would hold it tight. Weird part is I noticed when I slid the shafts back together there is a window open to the plastic piece on both if the shaft is fully compressed. Pic attached. Not sure why they'd leave a hole open like this for debris to get in but it almost seems like a service position to grease the shaft.

Attachments

• PXL_20210613_184903833.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210613_184903833.MP.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 161
   / Can't shorten PTO shaft because of metal collar? #9  
It's a plastic zerk. Let's you lube the telescoping area of the tubes.
That's what it looks like and I'm completely confused by it. It seems to let you grease the outside of the outer shaft. Isn't that pointless, or am I missing something?