Car battery. I am confused

/ Car battery. I am confused #21  
Ahhh, where is the excitment in replacing a battery that isn't stone cold dead? Have some fun, excitment, think the Seinfeld episode when Krammer was test driving a car and wanted to see how far he and the salesman could go with the tank past "E".

/ Car battery. I am confused #22  
An old school load tester is definitely viable, I have two of them.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

But the impedance tester that I linked to is far better for testing a battery, isn’t as dependent on state of charge and is much cheaper. So for someone without any way to test a battery, it definitely would be my suggestion.

/ Car battery. I am confused #23  
I always enjoy looking at pictures shot in a shop. You see the darnedest things...... Popgadget, how many used mower blades do you have there? ;) ;)

/ Car battery. I am confused #24  

View attachment 783840

View attachment 783841

But the impedance tester that I linked to is far better for testing a battery, isn’t as dependent on state of charge and is much cheaper. So for someone without any way to test a battery, it definitely would be my suggestion.
That Sun is one old piece. I remember using the old Sun that rolled from a steel beam in the shop, timing, points, rpm, emmisions, coils, plugs etc. Boy, things have changed.

/ Car battery. I am confused #25  
There’s a couple of sets for the Progressive TD65 at 9 per set as well as a few sets for the Lazer Z. So about 24.

/ Car battery. I am confused #26  
That Sun is one old piece. I remember using the old Sun that rolled from a steel beam in the shop, timing, points, rpm, emmisions, coils, plugs etc. Boy, things have changed.

Yes, I have had it for probably close to 50 years, but as it’s a carbon pile load, it works as good as the day I got it, just doesn’t get used as often!

/ Car battery. I am confused
As I typed out the initial post, I knew I needed to replace. sometimes forming the thought into a question tells you what the answer is. But I wanted to get some information on how to test, etc. Guess I need to get a load testor for the future shop.
New battery is procured. Napa. I usually get their legend premium but they didn't have one so I got the AAA battery . never seen those before but the guy said it is 3 year warranty and made by Delco. I'll put it in this week. While all the arguments for getting a new one were good, Roustabout had the best point. "no way I'd let a girl run around with a bad battery". not that my boys were any less valuable, but they were less vulnerable. Same reason I bought her a new car ( it was when I got it for her).

/ Car battery. I am confused #28  
Also good idea to replace belts and hoses on your own schedule to avoid unexpected breakdowns.

/ Car battery. I am confused #29  
It sounds like the plates have shed enough sulfate to touch the bottom and short them. If you want to tinker a bit, you could always try the epsom salts trick to dissolve the crud.

/ Car battery. I am confused #30  

View attachment 783840

View attachment 783841

I have an old school Sears auto analyzer that checks point dwell, timing, RPMs, and battery. The only thing I use it for now is testing batteries. It would be useful for someone who works on classic cars. On the battery issue, I have found that the dual batteries in my Dodge/Cummins truck last many more years than a single battery in my gas fueled vehicles.