Carbide chainsaw chains

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #11  
I have serious doubts about a carbide chain taking a rock or other foreign material without damage. And the upfront cost is a lot more and the sharpening difficulty is a lot more. If it’s taking you 45 minutes to sharpen you should spend the money you were going to spend on a chain on a different sharpening method.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains
The link to the Stihl literature says up to 4 times longer, not 10. ;)

Sorry. I believed YouTube. Cost seems reasonable even at only 4 times.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #13  
Sorry. I believed YouTube. Cost seems reasonable even at only 4 times.

Yes, I've been thinking about it, too. I cut almost exclusively locust trees. I only have about 10,500 left! :laughing: As I've cut out about 500 over the past 10 years. All about telephone pole size. Great firewood, but stupid hard and dulls the chains quickly, as in about every 2 tanks of gas. I can cut all day on sassafras and cherry and only hand sharpen the chain once or twice. But the locust is ridiculous. Throws sparks when cutting. I have 5-6 chains, I just swap them out as the day goes on, and sharpen them at home when I get to the last one, rather than sharpening with a file in the field.

I would guess that the cost of the diamond sharpening wheel will be my next search. I'd rather sharpen myself rather than ship off to be sharpened. That could get spendy.

Costs about $25 to mail off to get sharpened. Could buy a diamond wheel for my sharpener and one 18" carbide chain for around $200. Still considering the pros and cons.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #16  
I found the arbor on my sharpener didn’t run perfect. I tried filling it to no avail. I used some shim stock between the arbor flange and the wheel and got it running right. Swapping wheels for me would be a pain.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #17  
Since we clear trails, we cut everything off at ground level which is very tough on chains. I spied those carbide chains and asked my chain dealer about them being cost effective or not. His response was something to the effect, "We're going charge you X per tooth to resharpen it. Between there extra cost up front, and the cost to sharpen them, they're just not worth it."

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #18  
You can buy a lot of standard chains for the cost of a diamond wheel and 1 chain. Plus the ease and speed of sharpening.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #19  
Why are you dulling chains so quickly? Cutting in the dirt? Well dont. Cut flush then cut a checkered pattern in the clean wood of the stump so it holds water. Helps them rot quicker. Willow is hardly a hard wood.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #20  
If those willows are small enough, I'd suggest using loppers for ground level cuts.

Does anyone have experience using carbide chainsaw chains? I am looking to cut willows to ground level and standard chains dull to quickly. I will keep any new shoots pruned off for a couple of years until the trees die and then I will remove the stumps after they begin rotting and at my leisure.