Carbide chainsaw chains

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #31  
Can't help you. I only have a Diamond blade on my hydraulic hand held saw. That would cut the stone, no problem. Maybe not the wood, so problem.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #34  
Realistically 5-6 times longer..

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #37  
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but I can relate my experience with a carbide tipped chain.

I cut dry hardwood for firewood, mainly ironbark and grey box (the two common eucalyptus types in my area). Greybox, in particular, is very hard on a chain. You have to touch up the chain every tank of fuel - 2 or 3 file strokes. If you don't, you will be trying to burn your way through before the next tank is done. This is with clean logs and not touching the bar onto the ground.

I bought a Stihl 325 carbide tipped chain for my 231 after seeing the Stihl clip linked above. (I use a 16" bar to buck logs up to say 12-13". For anything bigger, I have a 391 and 20" bar, but the wear on the chain is the same).

The end result was disapointing simply because of the difficulty in sharpening it. It started off fine and certainly cut well for a lot longer, but then you find yourself slowly putting up with a 2/3 sharp chain, then a 1/2 sharp one, then a 1/3 sharp one ........... You get past the point where you would have sharpened a normal chain and been back to full efficiency.

I have a bench top electric grinder (that I rarely use), but a diamond wheel for it was pricey. The local Stihl dealer quoted me $40 for a sharpen, which I grudgingly paid. When I used the chain next time, it was nowhere near as good as new - so I used it until it was too dull and that was the end of that experiment.

If you could sharpen it yourself when it started to dull, then you can definitely cut far longer between sharpens than a normal chain. For me, it was far easier (and cheaper) to revert to the simple touch up each tank.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but I can relate my experience with a carbide tipped chain.

I cut dry hardwood for firewood, mainly ironbark and grey box (the two common eucalyptus types in my area). Greybox, in particular, is very hard on a chain. You have to touch up the chain every tank of fuel - 2 or 3 file strokes. If you don't, you will be trying to burn your way through before the next tank is done. This is with clean logs and not touching the bar onto the ground.

I bought a Stihl 325 carbide tipped chain for my 231 after seeing the Stihl clip linked above. (I use a 16" bar to buck logs up to say 12-13". For anything bigger, I have a 391 and 20" bar, but the wear on the chain is the same).

The end result was disapointing simply because of the difficulty in sharpening it. It started off fine and certainly cut well for a lot longer, but then you find yourself slowly putting up with a 2/3 sharp chain, then a 1/2 sharp one, then a 1/3 sharp one ........... You get past the point where you would have sharpened a normal chain and been back to full efficiency.

I have a bench top electric grinder (that I rarely use), but a diamond wheel for it was pricey. The local Stihl dealer quoted me $40 for a sharpen, which I grudgingly paid. When I used the chain next time, it was nowhere near as good as new - so I used it until it was too dull and that was the end of that experiment.

If you could sharpen it yourself when it started to dull, then you can definitely cut far longer between sharpens than a normal chain. For me, it was far easier (and cheaper) to revert to the simple touch up each tank.

Thanks for your real life experience with the carbide chain. We have no real hardwoods but I may hit dirt at times. Still debating.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #39  
Touching up a chain every tank or two of gas is prety normal on hardwood. You get any kind of dirt on the logs or well rotted sections and you may need to more.

I like a really sharp chain so have learned what not to cut through and how to hand file. I find that a hand file get the tooth sharper and stays sharper longer. Could be that the tooth never heats up like a electric grinder.

/ Carbide chainsaw chains #40  
From speaking with my dealer, resharpening these carbides has always been the issue. We normally take files and extra sharp chains into the field with us. Same as folks have already mentioned, file as you work along. Then replace the chain if its damaged, to far off camber or overly dulled.