Carport Weight

/ Carport Weight #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
All, question what do you think this carport weighs?

I want to move it and I am thinking about moving it without taking it apart.

Its 24’x24’ and post’s are 9’ tall. The posts are 2.5” square.

Attachments

• 72FD43AF-610B-451A-9716-3DE025C744F1.jpeg
    72FD43AF-610B-451A-9716-3DE025C744F1.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 135
   / Carport Weight #2  
I'd look on line for a similar carport to see what the shipping weight is.

I don't think weight will be your issue. The issue is that moving it will cause the frame to flex possibly tearing the roof around the fasteners unless you can figure out a way to stabilize it and go very slowly over a short distance.

/ Carport Weight #3  
I'd use 8 6" C clamps, 4-12' 2x4's and 7 strong buddies, and you making a guy on each leg.

/ Carport Weight #4  
I'd look on line for a similar carport to see what the shipping weight is.

I don't think weight will be your issue. The issue is that moving it will cause the frame to flex possibly tearing the roof around the fasteners unless you can figure out a way to stabilize it and go very slowly over a short distance.
I think this is spot on. I have the same carport. It used to flex in the wind before I welded steel gussets to the corners to stop that. But the roof sheeting started to tear around some of the screws because of the movement. It’s a pain but I think the best option is to remove the roof panels, then move the carport. It will be a lot lighter and easier to move also and no chance of structural damage.

/ Carport Weight #5  
When they build those sheds, it is all loaded on a 16' trailer behind a half ton truck. Bulk is your problem, not weight. So if you have something big enough to put it on, it will handle the weight. Haul it sideways and put the bottom runners on a trailer. Tie it down, keep it tied down at all times. Wind will easily roll it into a ball of scrap metal. Neighbor boy had one, oh yeah I'm gonna tie it down. Week later it was over in his neighbors pasture, crumpled up like a stomped can. Never touched the fence.

/ Carport Weight #8  
Build a BIG skid and anchor it to skid and tow it by the skid...

Those carports aren’t that hard to disassemble. I might consider putting a piece of lumber at both ends for a spreader to keep the legs spaced apart and drag it but much beyond that you’d be faster to take it apart.

/ Carport Weight #9  
Those carports aren’t that hard to disassemble. I might consider putting a piece of lumber at both ends for a spreader to keep the legs spaced apart and drag it but much beyond that you’d be faster to take it apart.
Yes, and I am pretty sure that the roofing panels will get widened or torn at the screws fastener locations by moving. Then it leaks everywhere.

/ Carport Weight #10  
Have a 12x20 carport 8' walls moved a half dozen times around my property still standing no leaks very minor damage, I also moved a 20x24 12' high greenhouse off my polebarn still standing I did reinforce it with some steel extensively. Anyways I think if you can get two tractors lift it slightly on the base rails in the direction your dragging choke it under the base rail and a upright, and communicate well with the other operator you should be good. I can take pics of various reinforcement I did on green house before moving if you want. The 12' wide carport I didn't put extra reinforcement in it and used one tractor when moving. The green house I used one skid steer and a tractor and it was a straight pull. Good luck