Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger

/ Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger #1  

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Morning all,
Can anyone tell me if there is a operators manual available on-line for the 870 Ecolo-Tiger disc ripper. I am helping my neighbor do some field work with this implement he just purchased and we need help on some of set-up functions. Biggest question we have is there is a red / green indicator plate that I believe has something to do with down pressure on the disc gangs but have been unable to figure out what adjusts that down pressure.

Thanks for any & all help on this.

/ Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger #2  
Is that tied in with the drawbar height adjustment.

/ Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger
I think drawbar is a totally separate adjustment from what can determine but again not 100% positive

Draw bar height seems more for running level. The disc gangs depth is set by another hydraulic cylinder and that mechanism has two large springs with the Red / Green Indicator. I cannot see any obvious way to change load on those springs nor are they mentioned on the 875 model which replaced the 870.

On the attached photo you can see the Red / Green indicator and the springs. The cylinder right in front of them controls or sets the disc workin depth independent of the ripper depth. Tongue or draw bar height is the large black tube in front center.

Does this help explain what I am looking at?

Attachments

• 870 disc indicator.jpg
    870 disc indicator.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
   / Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger #4  
OK, I found a video for the 875 setup; Ecolo-Tiger 875 Disk Ripper: In-field Settings and Adjustments - YouTube
It does use the drawbar leveler to level the disk gangs and the hydraulics to set the gang depth.
The green / red indicator is how hard you are loading the springs it should always be in the green if it gets to the red it is working the springs to hard.
What I didn't see was the purpose of the light duty crank at the front of the frame.
Good luck setting her up it looks like a nice piece of equipment.

/ Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger
Lou,
My turn to admit stupidity. The cylinder that sets disc depth is also what loads the springs and sets where you are on the Red / Green indicator. So simple that I could not see the forest since all the trees where in the way ;-)

The little crank you reference is how you set the ripper shank depth. There is plunger operated valve that blocks the flow to lift - lower cylinder and that handle adjusts the stop. Simple and slick method.

Certainly appreciate your help and yes nice rig but sure takes power. 9 shank 18 ft requires 450 - 500 HP in this area. Pulling with Deere 9530 and traction is the problem in tough going.

/ Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger #6  
I can imagine it takes some hp, we try to do mostly no-till but do chisel plow the winter feed lots and if we pack a field bad.
With just a small chisel plow and a tandem disk behind the 7120 or 7230 Magnum are looking for traction.
And because it is so stoney we run slow to not destroy equipment 2.8 mph often.
chisel plow 1.jpg

/ Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger
We no till & disc rip some. Lighter soil no till heavy stuff that packs try to disc rip every fall weather permitting. Was so wet last year we didn稚 do any tillage and yields sure suffered this year. Trying to run rippers foot deep and pulling up some big chunks is some areas

/ Case 870 Ecolo-Tiger #8  
We can see compaction results here also especially when we get on the few clay flats that we have.
The larger farmers in the area that are using the bigger equipment and hauling silage with trucks have more of an issue with it then we do.
This is what happens when we get just a tad bit too deep with chisel plows or any tillage;
chisel plow 1 last year.jpg chisel plow 2 last year.jpg