Cast iron wheels for M7040

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #11  
m7040--Are you going to upgrade to the cast iron wheels?

Oh, believe me, I'll have fun on my M7040. That is, if I ever get it!!
I'll start a new thread with pics if it truly becomes a reality.

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040
yes working with the dealer to give me a price to upgrade. Wondering what other options there are that the dealers did not tell us about? Seems like the dealer selected options are not listed in the options list available to us.

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #13  
FWIW, mine came with the CI from the dealer. He told me it was an option they ordered for M7040s. I was doing some work with the grapple this evening and I was rocking on the fronts while lifting a tree I just knocked down. Can't imagine what it would be like with out the CI.

Anybody know how much more weight it adds with the CI vs. stock?

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #14  
keving said:
Anybody know how much more weight it adds with the CI vs. stock?

I don't know. But using the old "eyeball" scale I'd have to say a lot. . .a WHOLE lot!!

m7040 said:
yes working with the dealer to give me a price to upgrade. Wondering what other options there are that the dealers did not tell us about? Seems like the dealer selected options are not listed in the options list available to us.

I knew it! I'm tellin' ya. You won't rest until you've got that extra weight on your rears!;)

See ya, soon to be fellow m7040 owner!:D

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #15  
m7040 said:
Chuck, got the info I was looking for so you can have the tread. Have fun with your new M7040 and cast iron wheels

So why is cast iron "better"? Simply more weight?
Bob

The extra weight helps with the loader work and makes it more stable. I have fluid in the tires which adds over 800 lbs per tire and even with that i had the rear wheel come off the ground several times and heading over to the side when I pushed the joystick forward to stop it. CI wheels will help as well as a rear mounted pallet fork with a weight box that I am planning with even more ballast.

Some options according to my dealer to add weight: 1) Buy the CI rims, new studs and nuts, and new rims to match 3300 dollars ( Rims are different for the CI center wheels)

2) buy three CI plates to bolt to existing wheels 900 dollars

3) buy new wheels and rims with CI centers complete with new tires etc 2900 dollars. Dealer is looking at how much credit he will give for the old wheels still and get back to me.

Likely he will not give much even though they are in good condition with 125 hours on them.

The CI center wheels will add app 650 lbs per wheel. Adding three plates per wheel will add about 500 lbs per wheel. Fuild fill that I already have adds 800 plus lbs per wheel. Unless the dealer surprises me with the credit it looks like the way to go is with the plates

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #18  
I talked to my dealer today. BTW, he has my m7040 in the garage and is working on it!:D It'll probably be next week before I get it because he has to order the third rear remote and lever kit.:( Thanks a lot MtnViewRanch. He said that the CI wheels are not standard on the m7040, he just orders all his that way. He said they add at least 600lbs per wheel. He even has some guys who do heavy loader work to add wheel weights on top of the CI wheels. The CI wheels are just not available on the M5040 and M6040.

Bob said:
So why is cast iron "better"? Simply more weight?

IMO the looks and durability of the CI wheels are both benefits, in addition to the weight advantage.

M7040-You could look into getting a 3ph ballast box if all you're after is weight on the rear. When I was thinking of getting the m8540 it had cast iron wheels. But I was also going to order a ballast box. With it loaded with steel shot it would weigh 2500lbs. It only cost $600. It was made by Alo, who make the Quicke loaders. But I'm sure other companies manufacture similar items.

I view weight in a tractor as an advantage as opposed to say weight in a race car. It seems we want most things to be lighter, including our bodies. But we want our tractors to be heavier. I would consider adding wheel weights and/or 3ph ballast to my future tractor even with CI wheels.

HEAVY + HORSEPOWER = 1 NICE TRACTOR :D

do you have a link for that ballast box?

/ Cast iron wheels for M7040 #20  
m7040 said:
do you have a link for that ballast box?

Go to www.Quicke.nu, click [PRODUCT GUIDE] then click to download the [QUICKE DIMENSION BROCHURE]. You can actually just download the "Implements Only" brochure if you don't want to look at the loaders. It's in a pdf file format. It's called "Counter Weight".