Flail Mower Centered Flail Mower

/ Centered Flail Mower #1  

Lewiston

Tractor
Kubota L5030 GST, Top & Tilt
Greetings,

I'm looking for comments from those of you that use a centered flail mower.

I have used an offset flail (JD 25A) for years but am considering moving to a 72" centered flail. The reason being is we have planted 30,000+ trees and the 8' rows in between must be maintained to prevent invasives from robbing nutrients from the seedlings.

I'd like to find a solution where the mower matches the width of the tractor and the the rotary cutter has proven to be too cumbersome due to the layout of some of the trees.

Thanks ahead for your input.

Rik

/ Centered Flail Mower #2  
I have always found it better to run the offset flail up to the tree trunks on the right side so as to also mulch leaves and twigs that fall from the tree which helps to create humus . You will also find that as a side benefit it keeps the area clean which takes away hidding places for rats which helps Owls at night to see them . And then turn around and do the other side of that row . Are you trying to do the whole row in one pass ?

/ Centered Flail Mower
The majority of the trees are conifers which will/have decrease(d) the row's width as they grow. Primarily I'm wanting to keep invasive trees (box elder and buckthorn) in check until those planted are thick enough to manage themselves. The rows of the older trees are now approx 6' in width.