Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting)

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #11  
I have both hooks (3 of them) on the bucket as well as pallet forks. For most of my lifting, I use the chain hooks...most recent was pulling old split rail fence posts out of the ground.
If you can afford pallet forks, and have a need for them...a worthwhile purchase. But, in my experience, I use the hooks on the bucket considerably more often.
Placement of the hooks is something to consider. I wrote I have three...two in line with the loader arms for heavier lifting or pulling. The other is welded on the centerline of the bucket for lighter work

If you really need to pull (verses lift) something, it's safer to use drawbar below the PTO.

Last edited:
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #12  
Placement of the hooks is something to consider. I wrote I have three...two in line with the loader arms for heavier lifting of pulling. The other is welded on the centerline of the bucket for lighter work
Same here, some combination of the 3 always works out for whatever I need to do.

Don't have pallet forks, not sure I'd use them enough to justify the cost, just one more thing to always be in the way when they're not on the tractor.
I do wish I went with bolt on instead weld on.
Curiously, why? Can't think of any reason I'd want to remove them.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #13  
It’s a pain to hook a chain back on itself and make it shorter than half its length. With a hook you can hook it anywhere. It’s worth the effort to mount one IMO.

Chain shorteners are easily made. Buy 2 grab hooks that match your chain size, put a short length of chain between then (I typically do 2 or 3, keeps it short). You can now hook the chain to itself at any length you wish by grabbing the chain link you want. Your chain could be as short as 6” or so and have a 20’ + long chain.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #14  
Chain shorteners are easily made. Buy 2 grab hooks that match your chain size, put a short length of chain between then (I typically do 2 or 3, keeps it short). You can now hook the chain to itself at any length you wish by grabbing the chain link you want. Your chain could be as short as 6” or so and have a 20’ + long chain.
YEs easily made from a few links of chain and hardware store hooks.... I made mine on cheap instead of paying outrageous online price...

Champ-7005-chain-shortener.jpg

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #15  

Why would you do that vs welding a grab hook on the bucket.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting)
Ok, sorry for a dumb question, but I might use this project as an excuse to get a small welder. Is this a decent application for stick welding? I ask as Ive seen some mention of stick being less than ideal for thinner material…. Not sure if the bucket “lip” qualified as thinner :)

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #17  
I use both the forks and bucket chain hooks to lift. I find I can lift close to 100# more with a chain wrapped around the tines. The lift point is a few inches closer to the pivot point when using the forks.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #18  
I use two Bolt On hooks on the top edge of the bucket. I don't really see any difference between bolt on or welded. I just didn't want to paint on a new tractor when I did it.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #19  
Ok, sorry for a dumb question, but I might use this project as an excuse to get a small welder. Is this a decent application for stick welding? I ask as Ive seen some mention of stick being less than ideal for thinner material…. Not sure if the bucket “lip” qualified as thinner :)
IF you are considering venturing into welding may I suggest you look into MIG... Its easiest to learn and just as effective as Stick...

I have Hobart Handle 140 (120Volt AC machine) and it can do up to 1/4 inch material quite well.... IF you are considering learning to weld a good introduction to various weld type can be found here...

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #20  
When I bought my tractor I had the dealer weld 2 hooks in line with the lift arms; 3/8 chain grabber hooks. Recently I saw weld on hook at my Kioti dealer. About $4.50 each, and now that I have a welder (Titanium 125A inverter flux core wire) I welded two more on more towards the center. I also welded hooks on the back of my backhoe so I can easily use it as a small crane.