Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting)

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #61  
Chain grab hooks attach to the FEL bucket, not the FEL.
Two bolt on chain grab hooks from the premium supplier, Dan's Bolt On Hooks, cost around $30. SPLURGE.

However, I also have pallet forks- and I guess I could also just wrap chains on those….

"Wrapping" is not a good idea. However most chains used with tractors have a slip hook on one end and a chain grab hook on the other end. So you could use the chain slip hooks to create a tight, noose.

I cannot immediately think of a situation where Pallet Forks would not obviate the need for bucket chain grab hooks.

I'm thinking you might mean Ken's Bolt on Hooks? If that's the case I would also recommend them.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #62  
My BX doesn’t have much capacity, but I have found several uses, for my welded on hooks. The BX has a fold, on the top edge of the bucket. We welded hooks onto backing plates. Then, we welded a piece of flat stock behind the lip, to support the edge of the lip and backing plate.

4DA07217-1E20-4D20-BF90-A784B1A5DF41.jpeg

9FB5F693-D6A3-494D-881F-85A53A654210.jpeg

DC778A00-26FC-498F-A6F0-799195C661D3.jpeg

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #63  
I put two grab hooks on each side of the top of the bucket. When I pile fence rails, lumber or tree branches, I'll first lay down two chains at 90 degrees, the grab hook distance apart. Then I pile the material neatly, and pull up with the tractor. The near chains each go to one of the hooks, the far chains wrap over the bundle, and go to the other hooks. The chains keep it all together while I drive.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #64  
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #65  
Nice welds!
Just make sure you have rear ballast (ballast box is best, IMHO) when you do any lifting

Those welds get comments everywhere I go. Wish I could do half that nice. I generally use my backhoe for ballast.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #67  
Practice, practice, practice....

I can stick stuff together, but it’s going to take a lot longer than you’re suggesting! I leave a LOT of room, for improvement.

/ Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #68  
When you want to lift the maximum weight,, and have the most control of the weight,,
the lift point should be close to the tractor as possible.

I have hooks on the bucket, but, I also have hooks that liftfrom a point that is closer to the tractor than the bucket pivot.
These lift hooks result in the maximum amount that my loader can lift.
Since the hooks are attached to my QA adapter, I can also lift with the bucket removed from the tractor.
Headwall5.jpg

Last edited:
   / Chain hooks on Bucket or just use pallet forks? (For misc chain hoisting) #70  
Lots of good advice in this thread. I recommend read it all before welding anything.

I took the simple approach for a quick-n-dirty one time use. But then I've never replaced this because it simply continues to work. With only about 700 lbs lift capacity on this elderly Yanmar, this is sufficient.
Cold Shuts (chain repair links) that I already had
51QyEjahTYL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg

bolted into pre-existing holes in a bucket that was already badly beaten up when I bought the tractor in 2003. I've never bent anything, hook or bucket, over 15 years using this.
Initial use - before I had loader forks:
673366-img_3091bucket-logs-jpg.39929

Heaviest lift I've done. Label on tank says 650 lbs and I had to reach over to the center of the trailer to lift it. This didn't bend the Cold Shuts.
p1210480rlifttank-jpg.121491

Typical use.
p1060289runloadtiller-jpg.199681

If there weren't already holes along the top of the bucket I would have welded on proper hooks. But this serves well, for my very occasional use. There's no need to improve on it.