$!#& Chain Hooks

/ $!#& Chain Hooks
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. A shackle, of the right size for the grab hook, will be able to go where the mouse wire would.

So the only addition would be a shackle.

Electric tape, baler twine, wire are usually simple enough for when gravity can't be trusted.

Dale please try not to hurt yourself or someone else.

THis was hole point of this tread.... last thing I want is to get hurt and someone else to get hurt....

Have see one chain come loose and leave tracks in tailgate of PU truck... Its enough to make one what to be very sure that chains stay where they are supposed to....

Dale

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #52  
I have found that having a grab hook mounted on my bucket is the best remedy for hooks coming off.
As far as slip hooks with bent up clips yes i still have them but i do have many that still do work. The bent ones got bent draging logs out of the woods.

They do make a better slip hook with keeper. The end of the hook fits into a notch on the latch to keep it from getting bent to the side.
Indusco 474:(1 Grade 8 Drop Forged Alloy Steel Clevis Sling Hook with Latch, Painted Finish, 3/8" Trade, 71 lbs Working Load Limit: Grab Hooks: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #53  
If one is relying on outer tip of hook.... Keep off my property....

Wire only keeps hook in place till one can bring tension on chain/hook...

Dale

Not a bad idea. Did you run the wire through the chain loop or just across the hook?

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #54  
Truthfully, messing with the mousing wire is more of a PITA than getting off the machine in my opinion. Also crooked little pieces of wire that you can't find when you drop them and they can end up in a tire.

The biggest PITA is those locking hooks on the safety chains! I get it, it's a good idea, but not for casual use. It's like a two handed operation without gloves.

Last edited:
   / $!#& Chain Hooks
IN picture on bench setup I was not very careful and wire went through the chain link, my error in picture composition.... In field the chain is properly seated in hook and wire (mousing- term learned later) is merely across opening of hook to keep hook and chain from departing company before I can get tension on it to "lock" things in.... All things considered if chain is not seated in base of hook slot and under tension there is always chance it will not hold....

Dale

Last edited:
   / $!#& Chain Hooks
Truthfully, messing with the mousing wire is more of a PITA than getting off the machine in my opinion. Also crooked little pieces of wire that you can't find when you drop them and they can end up in a tire.

The biggest PITA is those locking hooks on the safety chains! I get it, it's a good idea, but not for casual use. It's like a two handed operation without gloves.

Yeah, but I getting old and body takes beating and any extra times I need to get off and back on tractor just makes my body hurt more (thank you Aleve) and raises frustration factor... Just want to do "hook up" once, not two or three time for each change in work operation... Monkeying (mousing) with a simple piece of wire (granted bent up) saves me a lot of pain and frustration...

Funny the safety chain hooks on my tandem axle car carrier with the spring clips are best ever I have run into BUT it's also on how they are "located" and used....

s-l1600.jpg

Yes they are somewhat different than what I would consider as "rigging" hooks...

Dale

Last edited:
   / $!#& Chain Hooks

Yeah, but I getting old and body takes beating and any extra times I need to get off and back on tractor just makes my body hurt more (thank you Aleve) and raises frustration factor... Just want to do "hook up" once, not two or three time fro each change in work operation... Monkeying (mousing) with a simple piece of wire (granted bent up) saves me a lot of pain and frustration...

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #58  
   / $!#& Chain Hooks #59  
Re: $!#& Chain Hooks

It's a trade off. Sometimes I'd rather take my chances with climbing a ladder to put a cable on a tree, rather than cutting it without one. With some trees, unless one wants to hire a professional with climbing gear, a cherry picker or a crane and cut it from top down, a cable and a good winch lets you put that tree where it needs to go when gravity wants it somewhere else.
No need to climb. After fooling with throwing 3/4 drive sockets and twine or climbing a ladder (28 footer not high enough to get a good pull on a tall tree) I watched an arborist use one of these. I also helped him a little and used it myself. I bought one the next day. He showed me to tie a little knot about 8" from the weight. Then you spin it around and let loose of the knot. It goes really high and far. The string included is special, tightly braided to slide through bark and stuff. I was considering buying a kids bow and arrow to try as well, but the throw bag works like a dream.download.jpeg

/ $!#& Chain Hooks #60  
Re: $!#& Chain Hooks

No need to climb. After fooling with throwing 3/4 drive sockets and twine or climbing a ladder (28 footer not high enough to get a good pull on a tall tree) I watched an arborist use one of these. I also helped him a little and used it myself. I bought one the next day. He showed me to tie a little knot about 8" from the weight. Then you spin it around and let loose of the knot. It goes really high and far. The string included is special, tightly braided to slide through bark and stuff. I was considering buying a kids bow and arrow to try as well, but the throw bag works like a dream.View attachment 567942

Yep, yet another thing I've used during my illustrious Naval career, a BOLO.

Basically (Navy-wise) a small rectangular canvass bag (no bigger than a multi-tool pouch) weighted with lead with a grommet hole at one end. We'd use a LOT of parachute cord, coiled in an old coffee-grounds can, with one end tied to the BOLO (with a bowline knot). Throwing it as tjkubota93 describes to either another ship or to a jetty party.

You could then attach progressively larger diameter ropes (bowline to bowline or sheet-bend) to be passed to the receiving ship/party.