Chain size question.

/ Chain size question. #1  

Ronster

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X739, Kubota U27-4, Kubota RTV 500
Hi all. I have searched DOT sites and haven't found a direct answer. Are 4 G70 transport class 5/16" chains securing 4 points of a 6000# excavator (plus one additional chain for the bucket) enough for legal AND safe transport? FYI the G70 5/16" chains have a Working Load Limit of 4700#.
What do you use?
Thanks.

/ Chain size question. #2  
One grade 70 chain at each end of the body plus one more across the bucket would be adequate and legal. Putting 4 on the body and 1 across the bucket would be exceptionally well done. 5 chains has a working load of 23,500 pounds almost 4 times the machine weight and it only needed to be equal.

/ Chain size question. #3  
I believe 4570 is correct.

I also use 4 chains on the corners and tie down the attachments on my L3560. I have the trailors and tractor set up so that I can chain and tie down really easy and fast with 4 chains. Using two chains would be legal but a lot more hassle to chain down for me. I often load and unload multiple times in a day.

/ Chain size question. #4  
I believe 4570 is correct.

I also use 4 chains on the corners and tie down the attachments on my L3560. I have the trailors and tractor set up so that I can chain and tie down really easy and fast with 4 chains. Using two chains would be legal but a lot more hassle to chain down for me. I often load and unload multiple times in a day.

I agree 4 chains is easier since it can all be done from the ground vs climbing on the trailer to snake them across.

/ Chain size question.
Koch Industries and Peerless chains, any difference? Seems all chains made in China.

/ Chain size question. #7  
I'm not sure if it matters but there's plenty of US made grade 70 chain on the internet. If it's close in price I usually will spend a little more for a US made product. I would expect that even grade 70 chain from Harbor Freight must have passed testing to be rated.

/ Chain size question. #8  
I'm not sure if it matters but there's plenty of US made grade 70 chain on the internet. If it's close in price I usually will spend a little more for a US made product. I would expect that even grade 70 chain from Harbor Freight must have passed testing to be rated.
Ya. I prefer US, but have some HF & mystery chain I assume is cheap Chinese. Not worried about it as they should be tested & rated. Most HF type stuff I derate by 50% or so. I only somewhat do that with transport chain though. I generally stay well under the ratings with US chains though as well.

The chain with the yellow finish is grade 70. Combine that with the link thickness & you can get the rating off many charts.

I to go with 4 chains 5/16 or 3/8. Even if mine are junk & over rated by double I'm still WAY over chained for my 8k of tractor & impliment. Better to be safe than sorry.

/ Chain size question. #9  
You may find different states require more chains. I see most of the large equipment here using 4 chains, on on each corner, plus one for attachment.

/ Chain size question. #10  
You may find different states require more chains. I see most of the large equipment here using 4 chains, on on each corner, plus one for attachment.
Things get a lot more complicated & strict with loads over 10,000lbs. You need a minimum of 4 chains where smaller machines can get by with 2 chains to 4 corners.