Chain storage

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
No chain storage teasing allowed :cop: :whistleblower: :cop:

The forum allows pictures. With me that option is in the toolbar as a picture frame.

OP
H

homesteader13

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1755M. John Deere 420-c
I'm not finding any option to add pictures, if somebody can help me out I will post them. I tried a search I did not see anything and could not find any kind of a help menu. So I'm stumped.

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
The CA Cascades in the shadow of Mt. Lassen
Tractor
LS G3038, JD GT275, and Bolins H16
I'm not finding any option to add pictures, if somebody can help me out I will post them. I tried a search I did not see anything and could not find any kind of a help menu. So I'm stumped.

Here is the icon you press to start the share.

1 forecast.jpg

This is where you chose your photo from your computer or insert the URL. Now, let's see dem pix.

1 hard knocks.jpg

OP
H

homesteader13

Gold Member
Tractor

OP
H

homesteader13

Gold Member
Tractor
I came up with a great chain storage solution today, was going to post pictures but don't see an option to do so.

Now with pictures!
So first I pulled out the plastic cap plugs that were on the ends of the tubes, and then I put the chain in my crossbar tube that runs between the loader arms behind the bucket and then put a plumbing expansion plug in each end and it has clean secured dry storage for the chain.20180327_192149.jpg20180327_192155.jpg20180327_192437.jpg20180327_192934.jpg

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Now with pictures!
So first I pulled out the plastic cap plugs that were on the ends of the tubes, and then I put the chain in my crossbar tube that runs between the loader arms behind the bucket and then put a plumbing expansion plug in each end and it has clean secured dry storage for the chain.View attachment 545958View attachment 545959View attachment 545960View attachment 545961
Love those non-metallic expansion plugs. Had to google them and they are very reasonable. Nice mod!

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
Tractor
Now with pictures!
So first I pulled out the plastic cap plugs that were on the ends of the tubes, and then I put the chain in my crossbar tube that runs between the loader arms behind the bucket and then put a plumbing expansion plug in each end and it has clean secured dry storage for the chain.View attachment 545958View attachment 545959View attachment 545960View attachment 545961

Yup, good spot and I did the same. A bit of a pain to pull in and out quickly and often though, so I'm putting a chain box in along the left side between my FEL tower and the hood. There is space there on my tractor and an open box made of expanded steel and old bed frame angle iron should be perfect for the task and not gather debris.

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
Tractor
That looks great, I love ammo cans, I buy them by the pallet full!

I like that. I have space inside my towers and plan on making an open basket a bit larger than your ammo cans made out of expanded steel. Same general plan though. I donate tractor time for fire protection slash deposits and we use a trailer unloading technique I developed to speed up the operation - about half of our participants use this method and so I'm frequently pulling my chains out to do the job. I've been throwing them into my BH bucket but that is a problem when I use my hoe and thumb to unload so the baskets should be a real help.

In case you're interested, here is how we suggest a trailer/pick up be loaded to help with a quick unload.

New Picture (4)yiugiu.jpg

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
Tractor
Love those non-metallic expansion plugs. Had to google them and they are very reasonable. Nice mod!

On my tractor, I had to drive a piece of 3" ABS into the tube in order to use the plugs - the 4" were too large and the 3" were too small. It was easy to do, I just left an inch or so hanging out the end of the tube when I cut them off. I also keep a shop rag or two in them, and a set of adjustable wrenches wrapped in a shop rag inside the tube. This is good chain storage for occasional use but kind of a pain if your job for the day requires frequent use/store/use cycles.

OP
H

homesteader13

Gold Member
Tractor
On my tractor, I had to drive a piece of 3" ABS into the tube in order to use the plugs - the 4" were too large and the 3" were too small. It was easy to do, I just left an inch or so hanging out the end of the tube when I cut them off. I also keep a shop rag or two in them, and a set of adjustable wrenches wrapped in a shop rag inside the tube. This is good chain storage for occasional use but kind of a pain if your job for the day requires frequent use/store/use cycles.
Actually the 3-inch plug for a pipe was a little loose and the 3 in plug for a fitting Union was too big, but all I had to do was take some dish soap to the 3in pipe plug and lube it up with some dish soap the first time and it tightened up and expanded further and now it works great.

This is just my normal storage spot then I am not using them. When I am using them and constantly working, I hang them from the chain hooks that I put on my loader bucket.

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
Tractor
This is just my normal storage spot then I am not using them. When I am using them and constantly working, I hang them from the chain hooks that I put on my loader bucket.

Yup. That is my chain when I suddenly need one and, drat, I have to go back to the shop - Oh, wait, I have one right here.

tmcj

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
Now with pictures!

How long is your chain? Just curious how much you can stuff in there. My chain is 5/16" grade 70, 12' long. I haven't figured out a good storage solution yet so I just wrapped mine around the brush guard mount for now.

IMG_20180218_132638443.jpg

IMG_20180218_132623749.jpg

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
Tractor
How long is your chain? Just curious how much you can stuff in there. My chain is 5/16" grade 70, 12' long. I haven't figured out a good storage solution yet so I just wrapped mine around the brush guard mount for now.

View attachment 546077

View attachment 546078

You should be able to get it in there, it's what, 4' between the rails, at least mine is. That is only four layers of chain in a 3" tube. Like we all said, this is not your everyday chain, for that you have a fair solution. I plan on building a tall and narrow box of bed-rail angle iron and expanded steel - strong and keeps the crap accumulation down to a minimum and the chain is right there when you need it and goes back in a second.

BotaTrac

Tractor
Kubota BX25D, Kubota L305DT

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Pretty slick. I like it. I did something like that also.........Great minds really do think alike! Check this out:

A Couple More Bolt-on Add-on's For The Kubota BX25D - YouTube

You can check see my official BotaTrac channel at: BotaTrac - YouTube

I think I like yours better. The orange is classier than the satin black paint.
Thank you. I used Click Bond fastening system so no drilling or welding! I started a thread on the mod and made a youtube vid on the install if anyone is interested...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/369233-bx-auxiliary-chain-box-mod.html?highlight=

BX Auxillary Chain Box Modification - YouTube

BotaTrac

Tractor
Thank you. I used Click Bond fastening system so no drilling or welding! I started a thread on the mod and made a youtube vid on the install if anyone is interested...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/369233-bx-auxiliary-chain-box-mod.html?highlight=

BX Auxillary Chain Box Modification - YouTube

NO WAY!! YOU'RE THAT GUY?? That's awesome!! I just subscribed to your channel!! I watched that video at least 20 times last year before I mounted by chain boxes. Obviously, I didn't go the Click-Bond route, but you gave me a lot of inspiration for putting those ammo boxes on the side of my BX. Thanks a million for motivating me to go down that path. I've learned a lot about tractors since then and in that last year - best of all is to NOT be afraid to ask questions, acquire and read manuals, pick up a tool and dive right in. That's how we expand our knowledge. The tricky part is weeding out the truth from the fiction. But I'm not telling you anything new. Thanks again man, ......... really.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
NO WAY!! YOU'RE THAT GUY?? That's awesome!! I just subscribed to your channel!! I watched that video at least 20 times last year before I mounted by chain boxes. Obviously, I didn't go the Click-Bond route, but you gave me a lot of inspiration for putting those ammo boxes on the side of my BX. Thanks a million for motivating me to go down that path. I've learned a lot about tractors since then and in that last year - best of all is to NOT be afraid to ask questions, acquire and read manuals, pick up a tool and dive right in. That's how we expand our knowledge. The tricky part is weeding out the truth from the fiction. But I'm not telling you anything new. Thanks again man, ......... really.
Thanks for the kind words... glad you liked it. I haven't been active posting on Youtube but I do have another mod to do and I will try to post a video as soon as I get to it. It takes a lot of time to put out quality vids so I really appreciate the effort folks put into them, especially if they aren't doing it for any financial gain... such as myself.

I ended up putting an ammo box on both sides after the first one turned out so well. One for my chain and another for misc tools, gloves, etc. The little ROPS mounted plastic BX OEM tool box is just too small!

BotaTrac

Tractor
Thanks for the kind words... glad you liked it. I haven't been active posting on Youtube but I do have another mod to do and I will try to post a video as soon as I get to it. It takes a lot of time to put out quality vids so I really appreciate the effort folks put into them, especially if they aren't doing it for any financial gain... such as myself.

I ended up putting an ammo box on both sides after the first one turned out so well. One for my chain and another for misc tools, gloves, etc. The little ROPS mounted plastic BX OEM tool box is just too small!

Well, when you get the video done, now I'll get an email to go view it. I agree with you about guys who put out videos NOT for financial gain. I only do videos this time of year and only for a short time. I'm too busy the rest of the year. I do them to encourage other guys like me who want to learn about this stuff but don't necessarily have the knowledge or confidence. Nobody teaches me......I'm self taught. And I hope my videos encourage others like me to do a little research and then just go do it. Right now I'm teaching myself about tractor hydraulics, power beyond and 3rd function valves. I'm thinking of a restoration and putting hydraulics on a machine that didn't come from the factory with hydraulics. Anyway, thanks for responding to my post and I'll keep an eye out for your next production!

tractorcrazy

Silver Member
i cant figure out how to post a pic doesnt seem very user friendly to me or im to stupid to do it.

Peter 315

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800 HST Kubota L47 TLB
You can post a picture from you computer , hit the square button with the tree in it . It will say insert image from computer then browse then upload file

tractorcrazy

Silver Member
i also need help trying to reply/send pics i dont understand post quick reply/go advanced makes no since to me

tractorcrazy

Silver Member
test reply what does reply with quote/go advanced mean trying to figure this out

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
test reply what does reply with quote/go advanced mean trying to figure this out

Reply with quote attaches the post you reply to for reference. Notice your post is above. Go advanced gives a bigger dialog box and has more features, etc.

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
Now with pictures!

Nice idea! A clever way to use otherwise wasted space!

The only minor point I can offer is the weight of the chain reduces the lift capacity of the FEL. If you're just carrying a couple of short lengths of 5/16" chain, it isn't a big deal. Carrying a 50' piece of 3/8" chain is another story.

I use a similar scheme on my Kubota tractors but I use the FEL frame cross tube under the machine. With a little sanding, Sch 20 PVC pipe caps are a jamb fit in the tube. Not sure if this would be true on the Massey.

P1060206.JPG P1060215.JPG P1060218.JPG P1060220.JPG
P1060221.JPG P1060225.JPG Pic 12.jpg

I use them on both sides of the tractor. Each compartment can carry 10' of 5/16" chain with room to spare. I've never had one open by itself but a small bungee is a good precaution.
Took 20 minutes to build and cost around $5 each excluding paint.

YLee Kioti

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Now with pictures!

BINGO!!!!
thank you!!!!
I was sipping some tea and enjoying a cigar in the shop last night and told wife there has to be a way to store my chains.
She said where??
I said lookee over yondah..see that big round hole in the middle of the loader?
Loader??
yeah just look at that big round hole.

her-Oh yeah....what about it???
Sigh...and she wonders why I just talk to my self.....

and now this will be on my whenever I have to go into town get two of these...... :cool2:
oh and now have room for another 20' chain and some shackles!:D

BillC72

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3616, Cub Lo Boy 154, Ferguson TO30
20180410_174100.jpg Since I cant get on or off of the right side of my tractor, I added this chain storage and toolbox mod. It is bolted through the step, and bolted to the fixed part of the loader frame. I also have it bolted through the metal portion of the rear fender with a large rubber bushing. The large s-hooks are welded to prevent too much swinging of the chains. And the toolbox really needed a good place to go too. Everything lives well inside the wheel path.

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Now with pictures!

How do you "push" the chain into the tube??? :laughing: Where did you get the plumbing expansion caps, and how much? I already have a chain bucket on my tractor, but have seen others here use that crosstube for a place to store a big prybar or big screwdrivers. I wouldn't mind being able to do that, if I could get some of those caps. Thanks.

mike48130

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4410, 4210 Ford 1700, 550, Bobcat 843
Made this today. Needs paint, but I think it will work out good. Just used the top pin on the 3 point to mount it.

massey collector

Bronze Member
Tractor
1938 Massey Harris 101 Or which one
I removed that Kubota pencle box from my L3301 and installed this box in its place.

Of course I had to make some support brackets for it so I made them a bit longet and installed the hooks. those hooks are a very handy place to hang the hitch pins when removeing or installing 3PT. equipment too. Yes I did have to move the SMV plaquard but I so seldom go on the road I rarely have it mounted any way.

I can put a whole bunch of logging chains in that box, I rarely do after the first few times of throwing muddy chains in there. It fills the box with dirt, that gets in the workings of my crecent wrenches, splitting wedges, chain saw file and other tools I carried in there. Worst was it getting inside my extra pair of gloves.

Those big old round holes in the loader frame tube were begging me to install some pipe expantion caps and put my chains in there. But I could not find any expention caps 4.5 inches.

So I have been studying on how to plug the ends, never though of stuffing a whole tube inside that tube.

:D Al

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D

Neat and nice workmanship however I don't like making my tractor any wider than it is.
For sure I'd snag them sooner or later and hopefully not on my wife's car as I plow snow.

On my CUT I have a centrally install hook for chaining and on both upper bucket corners I welded 3" rings for additional tie points.
What I do is loop my chain from ring to ring and then hook the ends together to retain them in place.