Chain storage

/ Chain storage #11  
Now with pictures!
So first I pulled out the plastic cap plugs that were on the ends of the tubes, and then I put the chain in my crossbar tube that runs between the loader arms behind the bucket and then put a plumbing expansion plug in each end and it has clean secured dry storage for the chain.View attachment 545958View attachment 545959View attachment 545960View attachment 545961
Love those non-metallic expansion plugs. Had to google them and they are very reasonable. Nice mod!

/ Chain storage #13  
Now with pictures!
So first I pulled out the plastic cap plugs that were on the ends of the tubes, and then I put the chain in my crossbar tube that runs between the loader arms behind the bucket and then put a plumbing expansion plug in each end and it has clean secured dry storage for the chain.View attachment 545958View attachment 545959View attachment 545960View attachment 545961

Yup, good spot and I did the same. A bit of a pain to pull in and out quickly and often though, so I'm putting a chain box in along the left side between my FEL tower and the hood. There is space there on my tractor and an open box made of expanded steel and old bed frame angle iron should be perfect for the task and not gather debris.

/ Chain storage #14  
That looks great, I love ammo cans, I buy them by the pallet full!

I like that. I have space inside my towers and plan on making an open basket a bit larger than your ammo cans made out of expanded steel. Same general plan though. I donate tractor time for fire protection slash deposits and we use a trailer unloading technique I developed to speed up the operation - about half of our participants use this method and so I'm frequently pulling my chains out to do the job. I've been throwing them into my BH bucket but that is a problem when I use my hoe and thumb to unload so the baskets should be a real help.

In case you're interested, here is how we suggest a trailer/pick up be loaded to help with a quick unload.

New Picture (4)yiugiu.jpg

/ Chain storage #15  
Love those non-metallic expansion plugs. Had to google them and they are very reasonable. Nice mod!

On my tractor, I had to drive a piece of 3" ABS into the tube in order to use the plugs - the 4" were too large and the 3" were too small. It was easy to do, I just left an inch or so hanging out the end of the tube when I cut them off. I also keep a shop rag or two in them, and a set of adjustable wrenches wrapped in a shop rag inside the tube. This is good chain storage for occasional use but kind of a pain if your job for the day requires frequent use/store/use cycles.

/ Chain storage
On my tractor, I had to drive a piece of 3" ABS into the tube in order to use the plugs - the 4" were too large and the 3" were too small. It was easy to do, I just left an inch or so hanging out the end of the tube when I cut them off. I also keep a shop rag or two in them, and a set of adjustable wrenches wrapped in a shop rag inside the tube. This is good chain storage for occasional use but kind of a pain if your job for the day requires frequent use/store/use cycles.
Actually the 3-inch plug for a pipe was a little loose and the 3 in plug for a fitting Union was too big, but all I had to do was take some dish soap to the 3in pipe plug and lube it up with some dish soap the first time and it tightened up and expanded further and now it works great.

This is just my normal storage spot then I am not using them. When I am using them and constantly working, I hang them from the chain hooks that I put on my loader bucket.

/ Chain storage #17  
This is just my normal storage spot then I am not using them. When I am using them and constantly working, I hang them from the chain hooks that I put on my loader bucket.

Yup. That is my chain when I suddenly need one and, drat, I have to go back to the shop - Oh, wait, I have one right here.

/ Chain storage #18  
Now with pictures!

How long is your chain? Just curious how much you can stuff in there. My chain is 5/16" grade 70, 12' long. I haven't figured out a good storage solution yet so I just wrapped mine around the brush guard mount for now.

IMG_20180218_132638443.jpg

IMG_20180218_132623749.jpg

/ Chain storage #19  
How long is your chain? Just curious how much you can stuff in there. My chain is 5/16" grade 70, 12' long. I haven't figured out a good storage solution yet so I just wrapped mine around the brush guard mount for now.

View attachment 546077

View attachment 546078

You should be able to get it in there, it's what, 4' between the rails, at least mine is. That is only four layers of chain in a 3" tube. Like we all said, this is not your everyday chain, for that you have a fair solution. I plan on building a tall and narrow box of bed-rail angle iron and expanded steel - strong and keeps the crap accumulation down to a minimum and the chain is right there when you need it and goes back in a second.

/ Chain storage #20