Chain storage

/ Chain storage #31  
i also need help trying to reply/send pics i dont understand post quick reply/go advanced makes no since to me

/ Chain storage #32  
test reply what does reply with quote/go advanced mean trying to figure this out

/ Chain storage #34  
test reply what does reply with quote/go advanced mean trying to figure this out

Reply with quote attaches the post you reply to for reference. Notice your post is above. Go advanced gives a bigger dialog box and has more features, etc.

/ Chain storage #35  
Now with pictures!
So first I pulled out the plastic cap plugs that were on the ends of the tubes, and then I put the chain in my crossbar tube that runs between the loader arms behind the bucket and then put a plumbing expansion plug in each end and it has clean secured dry storage for the chain.View attachment 545958View attachment 545959View attachment 545960View attachment 545961

Nice idea! A clever way to use otherwise wasted space!

The only minor point I can offer is the weight of the chain reduces the lift capacity of the FEL. If you're just carrying a couple of short lengths of 5/16" chain, it isn't a big deal. Carrying a 50' piece of 3/8" chain is another story.

I use a similar scheme on my Kubota tractors but I use the FEL frame cross tube under the machine. With a little sanding, Sch 20 PVC pipe caps are a jamb fit in the tube. Not sure if this would be true on the Massey.

P1060206.JPG P1060215.JPG P1060218.JPG P1060220.JPG
P1060221.JPG P1060225.JPG Pic 12.jpg

I use them on both sides of the tractor. Each compartment can carry 10' of 5/16" chain with room to spare. I've never had one open by itself but a small bungee is a good precaution.
Took 20 minutes to build and cost around $5 each excluding paint.

/ Chain storage #36  
Now with pictures!
So first I pulled out the plastic cap plugs that were on the ends of the tubes, and then I put the chain in my crossbar tube that runs between the loader arms behind the bucket and then put a plumbing expansion plug in each end and it has clean secured dry storage for the chain.View attachment 545958View attachment 545959View attachment 545960View attachment 545961

BINGO!!!!
thank you!!!!
I was sipping some tea and enjoying a cigar in the shop last night and told wife there has to be a way to store my chains.
She said where??
I said lookee over yondah..see that big round hole in the middle of the loader?
Loader??
yeah just look at that big round hole.

her-Oh yeah....what about it???
Sigh...and she wonders why I just talk to my self.....

and now this will be on my whenever I have to go into town get two of these...... :cool2:
oh and now have room for another 20' chain and some shackles!:D

/ Chain storage #37  
20180410_174100.jpg Since I cant get on or off of the right side of my tractor, I added this chain storage and toolbox mod. It is bolted through the step, and bolted to the fixed part of the loader frame. I also have it bolted through the metal portion of the rear fender with a large rubber bushing. The large s-hooks are welded to prevent too much swinging of the chains. And the toolbox really needed a good place to go too. Everything lives well inside the wheel path.

/ Chain storage #38  
Now with pictures!

How do you "push" the chain into the tube??? :laughing: Where did you get the plumbing expansion caps, and how much? I already have a chain bucket on my tractor, but have seen others here use that crosstube for a place to store a big prybar or big screwdrivers. I wouldn't mind being able to do that, if I could get some of those caps. Thanks.

/ Chain storage #39  
Made this today. Needs paint, but I think it will work out good. Just used the top pin on the 3 point to mount it.

/ Chain storage #40  
I removed that Kubota pencle box from my L3301 and installed this box in its place.

Of course I had to make some support brackets for it so I made them a bit longet and installed the hooks. those hooks are a very handy place to hang the hitch pins when removeing or installing 3PT. equipment too. Yes I did have to move the SMV plaquard but I so seldom go on the road I rarely have it mounted any way.

I can put a whole bunch of logging chains in that box, I rarely do after the first few times of throwing muddy chains in there. It fills the box with dirt, that gets in the workings of my crecent wrenches, splitting wedges, chain saw file and other tools I carried in there. Worst was it getting inside my extra pair of gloves.

Those big old round holes in the loader frame tube were begging me to install some pipe expantion caps and put my chains in there. But I could not find any expention caps 4.5 inches.

So I have been studying on how to plug the ends, never though of stuffing a whole tube inside that tube.

:D Al