Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #21  
I, too, am looking into getting front chains only due to my budget. I have industrial tires on my 3520h Branson and need extra traction for asphalt while using the front bucket with bolt on wings and back blade. It’s hard to find chains that fits my 28 x 8.50 - 15 tires. Isn’t there any cross reference chart where I can use to find one size bigger? This way I could cut off excess to “size” it for my tires.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #23  
For your tire size you can look at ATV/UTV chains, 28 x 9 set will be very close;
1670373529122.png

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #24  
I, too, am looking into getting front chains only due to my budget. I have industrial tires on my 3520h Branson and need extra traction for asphalt while using the front bucket with bolt on wings and back blade. It’s hard to find chains that fits my 28 x 8.50 - 15 tires. Isn’t there any cross reference chart where I can use to find one size bigger? This way I could cut off excess to “size” it for my tires.
Check Bluejay industrial in Hayden ID (not too far). Good service, prices and selection on tractor chains.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #26  
When I bought tire chains almost 20 years ago for my L3710 I bought both front and rear. The front chains are still in the original boxes on the barn floor where I put them. After trying just rear chains I didn't feel the need for the fronts. If I remember right, I was cautioned against using them at the time except in heavy snow.

Kevin

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #27  
I have a Kubota L5740 (57 HP) with Ag tires. Have a Normand 82" inverted snowblower on the 3 pt and 84" snow bucket on the front end loader. Would only plan to chain up for extra deep snow since I need to drive thru it. Anyone have experience on adding chains to front only for increased traction?

I run chains on the front of my tractor so I can steer while plowing and hold the plow on the road where I want it.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #28  
Thanks folks, I went with tirechains.com! After carefully deciding on a 2-link ladder style (I plow mostly on pavement), I went & ordered TWO sets of 4-link chains. Before you get confused, they didn’t have the 2-link in the ladder style for my size so I decided to simply build a set using parts from the other sets. Since it’s wise to have extra cross links and a proper tool to remove & install (and eventually repair), I figured I can get it made for a very good price of $218 for a proper set! On order are 6-star bungee tensioner as well.

Should be a fun experience but overdue. We already have 8” on TOP of 16” that fell last weekend and MORE will be on the way starting Friday evening, about another 8”. I may just temporarily install the 4-chain just to get by this weekend. Tool doesn’t arrive until next week.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #29  
Did you get the 33 inch tire chain pliers also?
They are a lot of money for a one time usage, but they sure make it easy and fast to customize your chains.
AND they are a conversation starter when friends see that odd looking pair of pliers hanging on the wall. :)

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #30  
Yessir, I did! It came right after the snow storm. I did install the chains in the original configuration before the tool arrived as I needed traction pronto that morning. Turns out that I had to remove a cross link section and I was able to pry open the links with a long pry bar while it was mounted on the tires. No doubt the tool will be handy.

With the original 4-link configuration, I noticed a significant difference in traction and it surely helped and I’m very pleased! This week when time allows, I’ll reconfigure them to a 2-link. Hopefully I’ll figure out a new tightening configuration.