chainsaw fuel questions

/ chainsaw fuel questions #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
Sorry if this topic has been worked to death in earlier threads, but I didn't see it, so here goes: I have a quality chain saw, which I use only rarely. Like maybe 4 times a year, usually after ice storms or some event that caused trees to be where we don't want them, and clean up is required. I have been using regular gas, mixed with Stabil and two stroke oil, as spec'd. I always try to empty the tank, and run the carb dry. It starts and idles fine, but I have to nurse it up to full speed. After messing with it a while, it will run fine with no further difficulties. I don't think I am getting full power now, and I suspect I need to get new fuel and fresh mix. I am asking if anyone with experience thinks adding some Sea Foam to the gas/oil/Stabil mix makes sense. I also am thinking I will spring for a gallon of premium gas. (I don't use much, and everything else is straight fuel, which I can burn in my car when it starts getting old-ish.)
Thanks for any advice!

/ chainsaw fuel questions #2  
I only use ethanol-free premium gas mixed with the Stihl Ultra (Grey bottle) oil. I also run a gallon of premium into the tank of my car before I fill my can to clear the line. If I was you I would buy the pre-mixed quart bottles. It's more spendy, but it's high quality and has a super long shelf life.

/ chainsaw fuel questions #3  
I would go with fresh gas and oil mix and see what you have.

/ chainsaw fuel questions #4  
If I was you I would buy the pre-mixed quart bottles. It's more spendy, but it's high quality and has a super long shelf life.

I agree, for limited use equipment less hassle makes it worth the added cost. When I don't know how long it will be before they get used again I have been running my saws dry on regular mix, add a bit of the premixed Stihl Motomix and run it a bit more before putting them away.

/ chainsaw fuel questions #5  
for limited use mix.. i'd spring for the synthetic 2 cycle.

heck. might even buy the pre mix bottled int he tin can to make it last.

/ chainsaw fuel questions #6  
It depends on how much you burn. If these quarterly cleanups burn 2 gallons of mix each time the cans get expensive, even from HD or Lowes. I think they run about $6 to $8 a quart. If you use less than a gallon a year the premix might be a good choice.

I run 5 saws, 2 brush cutters and a Stihl FS350 leaf blower frequently. I go thru several gallons a year at the least. I buy 5 gallons of non-ethanol gas in Mississippi and drive it back to Virginia. I add Sta-bil and seafoam routinely.

Since I switched over to non-ethanol about 5 years ago I have not had a two stroke that doesn't run right. When I bring the 5 gallons back I mix only about 1 quart at a time and put it in one of the premix cans, sometime 2 quarts if I'm using my Stihl 088 because it drinks more. If I don't use the 5 gallons up between trips I pour it in a gasser.

/ chainsaw fuel questions #7  
I am runing a 30 year old McCullough, I have NEVER drained the gas, use whatever is left from the previous year, starts and runs with about 4 pulls on starter rope, same with my 4 year old Husky, no problems ever, just regular gas and whatever 2 stroke oil on hand.

Colorado at 9800 ft elevation!!

/ chainsaw fuel questions #8  
Until recently when I started clearing my densely wooded property, my Husqvarna 353 saw use was the same as yours and I would run the tank dry after each use. It is probably 11 - 13 years old and until the last 5 or 6 years when I switched to premium since all of my cars use it, I stored a mid grade gas, which had ethanol added I imagine. I was never picky about the gas I stored.

I store all of my fuels for 16 - 18 months or so, sometimes longer, with Pri-D or Pri-G as a preservative. This year I started storing ethanol free Shell premium gasoline at an additional $.45/.9 gallon as I have come to believe it will probably store better (although I have not noticed any previous storage issues) and I am not too price sensitive for my emergency supplies. I have also started cycling my gasoline differently, so I have various storage dates and do not have one large batch of 18 month old gasoline.

I also use E3 spark plugs in all of my non automotive equipment, 2 cycle or 4 cycle and have never had a plug or gasoline problem. All of my 2 cycle outdoor equipment- Husqvarna: chainsaw, weed wacker/brush trimmer and backpack blower have similar ages and all run as they did when knew. The Craftsman garden tractor (Kohler HD engine) is a few years older and is getting long in the tooth due to having far more operating hours. That said, I am pretty sure that if I could compare the 2 cycle equipment with identical new equipment, there would be a power difference due to wear. But my point is, they all run well and I am comfortable with my procedures.

/ chainsaw fuel questions #9  
I have NEVER drained the gas, use whatever is left from the previous year, starts and runs with about 4 pulls on starter rope
Same here, regular fuel with no ethanol (none here....yet and I hope it never does) and as much as I hate buying brand name oils I do buy the Echo 2 stroke oil. I've got an Echo saw, trimmer and hedge trimmer and treat them all the same way. My theory be it right or wrong, is that the gaskets and such will go bad with the constant drying and soaking.....Mike