Chainsaw sharpening machine

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #61  
Sure nothing wrong with asking. I've been sharping chains for over 30 years like mentioned above, everyone likes the way they cut. I'd have to ask how does a rounded wheel give the face of the tooth hook, this is a wheel not a file and there's no way a wheel can get in there like a file. My method is close to square fileing which cuts good. Also I use the same 1/8" wheel for everything and very rarely have to shape the wheel except for low profile chains. Steve

The wheel seems to have the same radius curve as the file. For all intents and purposes, it is just a continuous file, isn't it? :confused:

Anyhow, I have cut a few cords over the past few weeks with the chains sharpened by the HF grinder and they work just like new. They seem to hold up just fine until I drop them in the dirt! :laughing: When I am not dropping them in the dirt, I am only using one chain per cord, so I am happy. :thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #62  
Here is a mod I did that saves time there are other mods also but this one I like the best it keeps the arm from going up too far.

I had an Oregon 511A at one time and that was a feature it had and the chinese copy has not.

Attachments

• IMG_1012 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1012 (640x480).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1013 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_1013 (640x480).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 256
   / Chainsaw sharpening machine #63  
The wheel seems to have the same radius curve as the file. For all intents and purposes, it is just a continuous file, isn't it? :confused:

Anyhow, I have cut a few cords over the past few weeks with the chains sharpened by the HF grinder and they work just like new. They seem to hold up just fine until I drop them in the dirt! :laughing: When I am not dropping them in the dirt, I am only using one chain per cord, so I am happy. :thumbsup:

Yes it's shaped like a file, why. To get at the tooth like a file the wheel would have to be horizontal and that's not going to happen. I know your going by the book but give my method a try and see what you think.. Steve

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #64  
Well the chain I use on all my saws is the same 3/8" Baileys chain in order to make sharpening easier. I have absolutely no problem making the edge of the wheel hit the top and the rounded portion touch the side of the tooth (the cutting surfaces) at the same time with a 3/16" wheel w/o going into the link its the same shape as a file would create and its the same as factory grind.

A wire edge on a chain (hook???) just like a knife is not durable it may very well shave the skin off your finger but the second it hits wood its gone and you have a dull edge. jmho

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #65  
Here is a mod I did that saves time there are other mods also but this one I like the best it keeps the arm from going up too far.

I had an Oregon 511A at one time and that was a feature it had and the chinese copy has not.

Nice! I like it. I was going to add a chain, but your method is much better. Thanks for sharing!

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #66  
Well the chain I use on all my saws is the same 3/8" Baileys chain in order to make sharpening easier. I have absolutely no problem making the edge of the wheel hit the top and the rounded portion touch the side of the tooth (the cutting surfaces) at the same time with a 3/16" wheel w/o going into the link its the same shape as a file would create and its the same as factory grind.

A wire edge on a chain (hook???) just like a knife is not durable it may very well shave the skin off your finger but the second it hits wood its gone and you have a dull edge. jmho

Hook is the angle of the face of the tooth on any saw blade, more hook causes the tooth to pull its self into the wood . 0 or a negative hook it would want to push its self out of the and would require a lot of pressure to cut. As I mentioned above I think the biggest mistake people make with a grinder is not getting the wheel low enough with a round profiled wheel resulting in no or negative hook. 3/8 chain has a nice tall tooth, when sharpening a wore out low profile chain you wont want a rounder wheel, you'll need to dress the wheel to a point on the left side. Steve

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #67  
Ok I follow your thinking, hook is what I thought it was I just happen to be using a chain that sharpens well with a grinder apparently by what you said.

And by low enough you are referring to the arm angle I get you now. My original post mentions that I use the recommended angles of arm/tilt/table and wheel/file for the chain in the machine so we are on the same page sounds like good post follow up there! :thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #68  
Nice! I like it. I was going to add a chain, but your method is much better. Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome thank you! :thumbsup:

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #69  
i just use a dremal with a chain saw stone with a light touch

That's all I do. I use pipe thread cutting oil to help keep the teeth cool while grinding. It comes in a spray can so it's easy to use.

/ Chainsaw sharpening machine #70  
Yes it's shaped like a file, why. To get at the tooth like a file the wheel would have to be horizontal and that's not going to happen. I know your going by the book but give my method a try and see what you think.. Steve

My little Harbor Freight grinder is just perfect for my needs and sharpens my saw just perfectly. :D

Attachments

• coalchainsaw.jpg
    coalchainsaw.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 633