chainsaw sharpening

/ chainsaw sharpening #1  

anthonyk

Gold Member
Tractor
Century 3647
I know there's been about a hundred posts about this, but I found something I thought was pretty useful.
A website that actually shows a video of things like how to sharpen a chain, how to make the best cuts in a tree, etc. This guy runs some sort of professional tree service/ landscaping company and his videos are great.
I've read all the instructions and things on line from sites like Husquvarna, but honestly, the directions make my eyes start glazing over after about 30 seconds:) It's like listening to financial advisors!

I've always wanted someone who really knew what they were doing to just point and say "okay, cut here, sharpen there, watch out for this etc."
This guy does just that.
Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

anthony

Here's the link:
Do It Yourself

/ chainsaw sharpening #2  
Good timing Anthony. I just bought a new chain and I want to take good care of it. Thanks.

/ chainsaw sharpening #3  
Anthony. Thank you very much. I'm never too old to learn. Don't ya just love the shareing of info on this site???

EL

/ chainsaw sharpening #4  
anthonyk said:
but honestly, the directions make my eyes start glazing over after about 30 seconds:) It's like listening to financial advisors!

I also have the same effect on my wife when I'm talking to her...:eek:

(financial advisor :rolleyes: ) :D

/ chainsaw sharpening #5  
some interesting videos, but (given the first one I saw) I would have liked to see him wear and mention the virtues of some chaps...

/ chainsaw sharpening #6  
Afternoon Anthony,
Well there are some good points and advice on there but I dont think I would make a how to video on cutting down trees without all the proper safety equipment on !!! ;) No hard hat, no leg chaps, when the gentleman is making the horizontal cut for the wedge cut his leg is in the way of that bar and chain in the event of a kickback...

Im ceratinly no expert, although I have been cutting and splitting firewood my entire adult life, I would tend to show a newbie the right way with all the safety equipment and proper procedures. JMO...

As I said some good info but not the complete package IMO ! :)

Thanks for the video just the same...

/ chainsaw sharpening
Those were all good points on the safety!

I've personally learned the hard way to look twice and move slowly.

By the way, I just bought a new pair of work gloves made by husquvarna, and they have some sort of ballistic nylon protection on the fingers that they claim will drastically reduce damage to your hands if you're unfortunate enough to have an accident. They won't completely stop the chain, but really do reduce the damage. I saw the review in popular mechanics and went out and bought a pair, something like 20 bucks. Hopefully I won't be reporting back any time soon on how effective they are, but thought I'd pass on the info:)

anthony

/ chainsaw sharpening #8  
I'll also say that I would be in a world of hurt without my chaps and helmet. In fact my last pair of cut resistant chaps are hanging in the Stihl shop to show others how they can save you! Last year I was clearing some old dead trees off of my property and I knocked a dead snag from the top of the tree. It fell about 30ft and hit me on the top of my head. It knocked off my glasses and chipped my tooth from the impact, but I was otherwise fine.

My wife is a speech therapist and has seen a fair number of traumatic brain injuries from both professional loggers and homeowners.

Be careful! :D

/ chainsaw sharpening #9  
while i normally wouldnt post it, being bombarded with 8 vids that auto load when you hit that page isnt very nice web behavior.

for those of you NOT on uber speady connections i provide you with this

Index of /media

thats his directory were the vids are hosted. you should be able to right-click-save-as to save them and download them to watch all at once instead of waiting for the site (hosted off of yahoo pages with limted bandwith) to stream them to your puter.

/ chainsaw sharpening #10  
schmism said:
while i normally wouldnt post it, being bombarded with 8 vids that auto load when you hit that page isnt very nice web behavior.

for those of you NOT on uber speady connections i provide you with this

Index of /media

thats his directory were the vids are hosted. you should be able to right-click-save-as to save them and download them to watch all at once instead of waiting for the site (hosted off of yahoo pages with limted bandwith) to stream them to your puter.

Thanks, I was just thinking the same thing. Why are all the videos trying to load and play at the same time!?!?!