Changing Hydraulic fluid and filter

/ Changing Hydraulic fluid and filter #1  

FordTough

Tractor
Ford New Holland 1215
I own a 1993/94 Ford Newholland 1215 compact tractor and after 870 hours I will be replacing the hydraulic fluid and filter. I am the second owner of this machine and I do see evidence that hydraulic fluid and filter have been changed previously. We no longer have a Ford/Newholland tractor dealership in our town forcing me to service my tractor personally. I need to know where the specific location is for the hydraulic drain plug (this is a manual shift model, clutch and all). I presume the manual gearbox has its own type gear oil and drain plug location. I just need to drain the hydraulic fluid, flush the system and replace the hydraulic filter and fill the system up with the appropriate grade and viscosity fluid. I have not obtained the service manual on this model. Going forward, I will locate a good source for the service manual. At the moment, I just need to service the hydraulic system. Any ideas on this model could prove helpful. I suspect most members here have much larger tractors though I presume they all share service similarity for the manual shift models. Thanks for any assistance I can receive here on the forum.
I am automotive mechanically inclined, just have not worked on tractors.

/ Changing Hydraulic fluid and filter #2  
The transmission, rear end and hydraulics are all the same. Drain at the rear end plug and you have drained as much as you can.

/ Changing Hydraulic fluid and filter #3  
I own a 1993/94 Ford Newholland 1215 compact tractor and after 870 hours I will be replacing the hydraulic fluid and filter. I am the second owner of this machine and I do see evidence that hydraulic fluid and filter have been changed previously. We no longer have a Ford/Newholland tractor dealership in our town forcing me to service my tractor personally. I need to know where the specific location is for the hydraulic drain plug (this is a manual shift model, clutch and all). I presume the manual gearbox has its own type gear oil and drain plug location. I just need to drain the hydraulic fluid, flush the system and replace the hydraulic filter and fill the system up with the appropriate grade and viscosity fluid. I have not obtained the service manual on this model. Going forward, I will locate a good source for the service manual. At the moment, I just need to service the hydraulic system. Any ideas on this model could prove helpful. I suspect most members here have much larger tractors though I presume they all share service similarity for the manual shift models. Thanks for any assistance I can receive here on the forum.
I am automotive mechanically inclined, just have not worked on tractors.

Look under the tractor and you should see several drain plugs, like shown in the enclosed photo covering Ford 1300, 1310, 1500, 1510 & 1710 models.

Just like Tractor Tech said above, my 1310 uses the same oil (Ford 134 or equivalent) for hydraulics, transmission & rear axle.

Manuals should be easy to find from eBay or dealers like this who sell online:

New Holland 1215 - 3 CYL COMPACT TRACTOR 15 SERIES(06/93 - 04/98) Parts Diagrams

Attachments

• Ford.png
    Ford.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5435.JPG
    IMG_5435.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5436.JPG
    IMG_5436.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
   / Changing Hydraulic fluid and filter #4  
I’ve owned my 1215 for 29 years and use NAPA filters and Mobil Delvac tractor hydraulic fluid (formerly 424). Mine is an HST model and I’m very satisfied with the Mobil oil.

/ Changing Hydraulic fluid and filter #5  
I’ve owned my 1215 for 29 years and use NAPA filters and Mobil Delvac tractor hydraulic fluid (formerly 424). Mine is an HST model and I’m very satisfied with the Mobil oil.

I'm with those who think that a HST owner needs the best tractor/hydraulic oil because of the wide range of types of friction that oil has to deal with. I'm told that best Hyd/Trans oil has costly additives that make it costly. I guess so, since all the majors charge a bunch..... Anyway, I expect to pay somewhere from $20/$30 a gallon & UP to change it out. But I figue it is worth it. Tractors with HST often have an additional super fine filter just for the HST system - although the return flow goes right back to the common sump.

All the major companies make an expensive heavy equipment multipurpose trans/hydraulic oil - Shell, Valvoline, MOBILE, Castrol, New Holland Multi-G134 (AMBRA) is my favorite, but there are others, tool.

Something we don't pay enough attention to is that there aren't industry standard specs for for trans/hydralic oils like there are for motor oils. Formulations are trade secrets and so is performance.
After some 60 years of bending wrenches, I don't know any better way than to find one you like and stay with it.
rScotty