Charging Batteries

/ Charging Batteries #41  
I find it odd that no one mentioned the removal of caps (if not sealed top) prior to charging. This allows the hydrogen to freely vent from the top area that is free of acid/water mix so as not to accumulate and possibly cause an explosion when a spark occurs.

Connecting the clamps prior to plugging in the charger is a good idea but doesn't guarantee no spark if a bad connection is made but at least you wont be nearby if it does explode. Same with disconnecting, kill the power to the charger first.

Exactly! Whenever charging batteries, especially w/ high amperage, one needs to ensure that the covers are removed to prevent h2 gas buildup. Very, very dangerous.

I personally use a Deltran waterproof battery tender w/ battery connectors throughout the Winter and my tractor is always fully charged and ready to go.

/ Charging Batteries #42  
Umm Hmmm. Once I hooked up my wife's Toyota Camry got the cables on the wrong posts, then tried to crank it. Three days later at the dealer total destruction of the wiring harness was discovered. There was an aftermarket remote starter jnstalled in it by a car place. They had done some bad stuff to the cars fuse box, a sealed clamshell wiring box.
it was almost beyond repair. Removed and replaced the clamshell box, redid the wiring loom at home, got it running, Then she smashed it up.

Moral of the story: Pay attention to what you are doing. my crossed wiring of the battery charger cost me nearly three grand. Also never ever install an aftermarket remote starter using crap labour. Also do not buy the wife a new car. Get her a bicycle.

BTW I was pissed at myself. I thought I knew better than to cross up a boost. Goes to show me.
RED safety tape on my battery positive cables in the cars now. My wifes Toyota had no colours on the battery terminals...Baaaad!

Jaysus, I can be stoopid on some days, boys

/ Charging Batteries #43  
Even a sealed battery has vents to allow the Hydrogen and Oxygen produced during charging to vent. And I have charged some big batteries.

EM1(SS) Retired