Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,811  
I pulled the trigger also. Got a late model M1 (used but in LN condition) on ebay for $ 150. I called and got PUK codes from AT&T, but when I swapped the SIM card it worked right away. No lock or code needed. So far, so good. Performance is good, notably the range of WiFi is much better.

Paul
We‘re seeing much better range too, the 20 connections as opposed to 5 on the Mobley my be all our household needs.

Mike

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,812  
Well I rarely use my Mobely when I'm in Virginia because the house has a pretty good internet package we pay for.
BUT this morning my router was down. So I pull out the Mobely and just put it on a table in front of me, hoping to get a connection so I can connect here and surf the web a little.
One of the things I routinely do when I connect the Mobely is a speedtest, by OOKLA.

DARN!
37 DOWN, 10 UP.
Good to go.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,813  
One of the things I routinely do when I connect the Mobely is a speedtest, by OOKLA.

DARN!
37 DOWN, 10 UP.
Good to go.
Wow, that is more than 3 times faster than our Mobley this morning!
speedtest.JPG

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,814  
Wish I saw those speeds. I have seen up to 15 but usually hover around 5.
speed-12-15-21.jpg

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,815  
FYI. Since Starlink is taking longer than expected and my mobley has been needed to be reset more and more frequently I went ahead and decided to upgrade my LTE modem.

This weekend I bought a Netgear Nighthawk Mobile LTE modem from Amazon for $225. It arrived the next day.
My SIM was locked because of the v1.3 upgrade on my Mobley so I called AT&T support and requested my PUK1 & PUK2 codes for my SIM and that worked fine. They will still hand it out.

I swapped the SIM and the new device is getting 30mbit when the mobley only did 3. Now I have an external LTE antenna for the Mobley that gets it to rates at 20-30 mbit, but the Nighthawk uses a different antenna connector so it will be a couple of days before I can try the Nighthawk with the big antenna.

So just saying it is still possible to move a SIM. The Nighthawk allows 20 devices by default, but if you disable the internal routing features you can use an external router then you don't have any limits on the number of possible devices. After a day of use, it seems stable.
What external antenna are you using? I replaced Mobley with a ZTE but have yet to find an antenna that does anything.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,816  
I'm still using my work around when "Visiting" my home.

Have two cell phones from different carriers and neither is consistent as far as signal.

Learned if I place either one in the chandelier over the dinning room table I have a reliable hotspot for the laptop or to use the other phone.

Don't know if it is elevation or the metal chandelier or combination but it always works.

I did go to unlimited plan on the one I pay for so no problem that way.

Carriers... Verizon and T-Mobil

Home is on a small ridge surrounded by hills.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,817  
I'm still using my work around when "Visiting" my home.

Have two cell phones from different carriers and neither is consistent as far as signal.

Learned if I place either one in the chandelier over the dinning room table I have a reliable hotspot for the laptop or to use the other phone.

Don't know if it is elevation or the metal chandelier or combination but it always works.

I did go to unlimited plan on the one I pay for so no problem that way.

Carriers... Verizon and T-Mobil

Home is on a small ridge surrounded by hills.
Why not put up a repeater outside and boost the signal in the house?

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,818  
Choice can be paralysis sometimes...

If I lived there it would be simple but mostly I visit staying nights at moms caring for her...

Ideally she would move to my place but after 53 years in her home even with memory problems it is still familiar.

Functioning without reliable internet today is a handicap for many things.

The two cell phone idea just kind of evolved even down to where in the chandelier to place it.

More research required...

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,819  
Choice can be paralysis sometimes...

If I lived there it would be simple but mostly I visit staying nights at moms caring for her...

Ideally she would move to my place but after 53 years in her home even with memory problems it is still familiar.

Functioning without reliable internet today is a handicap for many things.

The two cell phone idea just kind of evolved even down to where in the chandelier to place it.

Yes choice can be that way. I look at like do your research and then just put a pin in the date. You made your decision on 1/12/22 with the best info available. Go with it and dont look back. Weboost has several options depending on how much you want to spend and how much of the house you want to cover with better signal.

/ Cheap $20 a month Stand Alone Unlimited Rural Internet through AT&T Wireless #1,820  
<snip>

I hate paying extra for antennas but I paid about $90 for a Weboost bottom of the line model about 5 years ago. Went from < 1 bar to up to 3 bars in the living room. According to my cell phone it provided about a 10 dB boost. Well worth the $90.
/edit - didn't seem to improve my Mobley reception.