Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #31  
Pivots are missing according to parts diagram.

View attachment 721447

If those linkages parts were missing, the loader would be pretty much unusable due to the shorter length of the cylinders. For a setup without the linkages, the cylinders have to be extended to get some decent curl and dump angles, so that definitely came from factory like that.

Whoever makes the loaders for the Branson 15 series also did this thing of removing that linkage and just increased the length of the cylinders and guess what, there are reports of bent cylinders almost every day.

I don't really think it's a quality issue, rather an engineering mess up. For a cylinder to hold those forces, regardless if it's the best cylinder in the world, it would need to stupidly oversized for the loader in hand.

That linkage makes an huge difference on applying the forces in the right directions for the cylinders, plus it reduces the overall length of the cylinders which will only make them stronger.

As if that wasn't enough, people see a loader and a backhoe on a tractor and expect them to work like a skidsteer and excavator. That just won't happen, specially with oversized implements.

Last edited:
   / Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #32  
and traded it in for this new 2750e. Needless to say it has been nothing but a nightmare. First day I had it I bent both of the hydraulic cylinders pushing debris. I accepted my fate and spent the $1000 to get them replaced (been 6 months) and within 3 hours I bent the new ones
Not going to get in to the rest of it, just wanted to note that the machine owner bent two sets of rods.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #33  
Looks like the bucket hits a full stop point before the cylinder is fully extended. Nothing for the cylinder to do but bend after that. That should have been an obvious problem and indication to sort out the cause (missing parts and/or incorrect hookup).

If the cylinder ends are disconnected and then extended all the way, you wouldn't be able to connect this bucket. The cylinders would already be beyond the max length of travel. That's a recipe for absolute failure.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #34  
Whether the linkages are there or not shouldn't make a difference with regard to the cylinder bending.

The linkages removed should make the bucket curl back more, and dump less...that's all.

Hitting mechanical stops before cylinder fully extended shouldn't cause this....infact you WANT the stops to be hit just shy of full extend.

The parts diagram, even with the linkage shows a short cylinder with extensions on both rod and base.

Piss poor design....and honestly....I'd be questioning my purchase and looking to either a different model or different brand

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #35  
I'm no engineer, but if I bent my cylinders doing something, I would start by not doing that again. Seems more like he is trying to do more than it can handle.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #36  
I'm no engineer, but if I bent my cylinders doing something, I would start by not doing that again. Seems more like he is trying to do more than it can handle.
But if you watch the video, those cylinders are bowing FAR FAR to easy and something is wrong.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #37  
Ironic I cannot find ANYTHING on masseys site for the 2750/2760e.

But I did find this video on their website that can hopefully put to rest whether its missing parts or not.

The video....paused at both 0:24 and 3:39 both show a FLx2815 loader and it does NOT have the linkages.

As I have said before, some loaders have them, some dont. But regardless, the cylinders should NEVER be capable of column buckling under their own hydraulic force.

The ONLY think that should cause column buckling is an outside force GREATER than the hydraulic force they are capable of.
And example of that is with the loader dumped all the way and attempting to back drag with the cutting edge. We have all seen that on here a time or two. But it should NEVER happen under the loaders own power.

I have to wonder though.....in the video the OP posted, if the cylinders werent already bent from said activity. The LONGER bucket would compound the forces if used while dumped and backdragging. Requiring less effort/traction to make the cylinders bend. It dont matter if its a stock bucket, or a 4' stump bucket, or hell a 10' long bucket....it should NEVER happen under its own hydraulic power. But it DOES matter if you are using tractive power, and the bigger (longer) the bucket the easier it happens.

So if these cylinders in that video were already compromised.....THEN and ONLY THEN can I see the tractor being able to do that with hydraulic power alone.

Is the tractor owner a member here? CoTHg is this your tractor or someone you know? Can you direct him here....on a tractor forum where he may get more help than on a AR15 forum?

The following are the screenshots of the video on massey's own website showing no linkages or missing parts

massey loader.PNG

massey loader 1.PNG

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #39  
Yes, you can clearly see the cylinders already bent on the video before he even moves the bucket.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #40  
My view is that a hydraulic cylinder simply pushes 2 pins apart or pulls those 2 pins together, nothing more. If the cylinder rod buckles, it’s a sign that the rod is longer than it’s diameter supports, and/or that the extend pressure is excessive.
My view is that the actual design of the loader or bucket components and their geometry has nothing to do with the rod buckling. It’s simply that the rod diameter is too small for its length, or the hydraulic force generated is excessive. (This pressure could also be back pressure on the tilt cylinder, but generated by down pressure on the main boom)
Think of a theoretical cylinder with a rod 24” long and 1/4” in diameter, extended. (Theoretical, remember?) The rod wouid be somewhat stable if only extended 1/8” but certainly the rod will buckle with very little extend pressure out there at 24”
Now imagine the rod being 24” long extended, but 2-3” in diameter. This rod will be hundreds or thousands of times more resistant to buckling.