chevy half ton tranny trouble

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #11  
It'd have the 6L60E; the HD trucks had the 6L80E.

Also, sorry about the G8, those were magical cars.
I thought the GM gas HD trucks had the 6L90e transmission and the 1/2 tons had the 6L80e.

saw an ad for the newest GM HDs and it said the gas HD trucks now have the 10 speed Allison.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #12  
Also if you need to determine which trans is in your truck the 60s pan was square with 16 bolts the 80 was not and had 17 I believe. I won't go into why I know this but i don't use a torque wrench just a 1/4" ratchet and don't eat your wheaties or use a 1/2" ratchet if you drop the pan.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #13  
Well a quick Google search tells me that the 6L90E is a heavier variant of the 6L80E used in no straight answer; suffice it to say the 80 was used in most applications it seems. I lived back in those 4 speed models. 🤣

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #14  
Well a quick Google search tells me that the 6L90E is a heavier variant of the 6L80E used in no straight answer; suffice it to say the 80 was used in most applications it seems. I lived back in those 4 speed models. 🤣
An extra plate in all the clutch packs?

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #15  
Allisons are excellent transmissions.. SO LONG AS YOU CHANGE THE FLUID AND FILTER(S) ON THE PRESCRIBED SCHEDULE.

Most slush boxes today have no factory drain plugs but you can retrofit all of them with a bulkhead fitting. My 97 F350 E4OD does because it has a B&M deep sump finned pan on it plus a bung for a trans temp sender.

No substitute for additional fluid either. The high capacity pan (if available) is always a good upgrade. If it takes synthetic fluid, better have your wallet out however, synthetic fluid is quite expensive.

Me, I like to drain the pan prior to removing it for a filter change, much less messy and at least on my E4, I can drain the torque converter as well.

I'm a firm believer in an external fluid cooler (mounted in front of the radiator) as well. Factory installed trans coolers are very marginal at best, almost an afterthought.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #16  
Yep 👍 excessive heat on a auto trans is your enemy. An aftermarket company makes a larger spin on trans filter to increase fluid capacity and filtering media for Allison's my newer 6 speed Allison has a OEM drain plug. Anyways if you get a OEM tow package make sure it has a trans cooler imo.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #18  
Do Chevy dealers tell owners that the transmissions are "sealed for life" and don't need the fluid changed? I've run into that with other brands. It's technically true- the original fluid will last the life of the transmission. But that may be a significantly shorter life from what it could be if the fluid was changed.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #19  
If I had a truck with a 180,000 mikes on it and the transmission went out I wouldn’t be happy but I wouldn’t be surprised either.

/ chevy half ton tranny trouble #20  
Your halfton probably have the 6L80E transmission? I had that in my 2009 Pontiac G8GT, it was a trouble free transmission before it got squashed by a tree falling on it after 80Mph winds.
I would have bought that back from the insurance company and do a body swap. That 355hp in a 4,000-pound car would have been fun to drive. (y) :LOL: