CHipper for a YM 155D

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #1  

olallaray

Tractor
Yanmar YM155D
Has anyone experience with a 3pt chipper that works with a YM 155D?

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #2  
Not too many brands around anymore.

Look at the Wallenstien, Woodland Mills WC46, Titan has 2 models, WoodMax WM-8H, ...

Northern Tool use to have a good model for SCUT tractors. They no longer carry it. It's the only small PTO chipper I've seen in action that works rather well.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485299_200485299

They now carry another brand, MerryMac. Less powerful for a higher price.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_39811_39811

Not sure where you are located to provide any more help.

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #3  
I don't have a YM-155D, so feel free to ignore this.

I have the WoodMax WM-8H, and have 30HP at the PTO, and I find the Woodmax underpowered. It is good with green material, but dry, four to six inch diameter material often jams it when the last 8" are going into the chipping blades. I have seen it used with 80HP at the PTO and it never stalled. One small point is that the WM-8H has a hydraulic feed that takes some HP.

I think that you might be ok with a leaf shredder, but I think that the lack of HP would be a frustration with a wood chipper on a YM-155D.

All the best,

Peter

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #4  
I can tell you what doesn't work! :mad:

I bought HF's shredder with the 5.5hp gas engine when I had a major landscape pruning project, and more than a trailerload of material to convert to mulch. I found it would only take soft green material up to about 3/4", a size you could break over your knee or cut with loppers. Larger material had to be fed very very slowly. Maybe several seconds per inch. The thing was more a frustration maker than a useful tool. I spent most of an afternoon mulching the heavily loaded trailer in the photo below.

I also learned it was suitable only for the long straight green material I bought it for. This is an orchard, with lots of pruning debris that is larger and generally has a crooked shape that won't go in the mouth. So its useless for orchard work.

Finally this particular HF design had a low-oil shutoff that made it impossible to keep running. That was so sensitive that as engine vibration made it settle slightly into the ground it would shut down. It needed a sheet of plywood beneath it, carefully shimmed to perfectly level, to run at all.

Hopefully HF's more recent model works better!

p1640058rhfshredderinuse-jpg.236067

Here's what I posted at the time.
There are some recommendations for PTO chippers in that thread.

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #5  
Has anyone experience with a 3pt chipper that works with a YM 155D?
I'm new here so I'm gonna christen this topic with another 3 point chipper that is actually rated at a minimum 15 HP at the pto. Either way the hp is on the lite side for a power hungry attachment.

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #6  
I run this one on my 147d with no problem...

IMG_20181020_155253.jpg

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #8  
How does it perform with 2" and less green stuff.
This chipper goes up to 3". Does green as well as dry in the chipper part. The dryer the better in the shredder. And doesn't like green viney stuff in the shredder.

The 147d is only rated about 10 pto hp. Honestly never been a problem. It will slip/burn the belts before it runs out of power..

/ CHipper for a YM 155D #9  
The YM 155D at 1146 # is a bit light to carry the WM WC46 chipper unless you only run it on level ground. It's very noticeable back there on the 1600ish # 2025R.

A lighter chipper/shredder would be the MacKissic TPH-123. I had a TPH-122 for 16 years. It's one of the lighter weigh ones. A guy bought it and is using it now on his 3 series JD.

That "Merry Mac" that others posted a picture of looks like the Mac TPH-122.

Attachments

• Mighty Mac sm.jpg
    Mighty Mac sm.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
   / CHipper for a YM 155D #10  
I run this one on my 147d with no problem...

View attachment 699953

Knowing there are single stage and two stage PTO driven snow blowers out there, is there such a thing for these woodchippers. It would explain why some of these machines can much on larger diameter branches at lower Hp.

So are there 2-stage PTO woodchippers then?