Chipper Shredder

/ Chipper Shredder #1  

MoArk Willy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320
Hopefully someone can give me some advice.
I am looking into a chipper / shredder for my own personal use.
I have about 5 acres, half is wooded.
I want to expand my yard and cut down a few trees, make some trails and overall improve the property.
I was hoping to spend somewhere between $1000 and $2000 for a good quality machine that would help me with clean up.
Of course less than $1000 is OK as well.
Mostly pruned limbs, some small trees.
Anything big enough for firewood would be cut to size and used as such.
Anyone have any experience with these machines?
And I am not opposed to using a PTO type for my Kubota.
I'm just doing the research now and figuring out my options.
Thanks for any thing you can share.

/ Chipper Shredder #2  
I have 5 acres, too, all forest.

I bought a Troy-Bilt Tomahawk chipper-shredder when burning got banned. I think about 6 HP. About 1 inch limbs was the max. Not in size but in time. Stick it in the chipper chute, press about 6 inches in for chipping, pull back and wait for 30 seconds for RPM to get back to full speed. Do that over and over. For about 5/8 and down, and shredding, it was fine.

Gave it to my son who has a small lot. Now I make brush piles and enjoy watching the birds and rabbits.

Bruce

/ Chipper Shredder #3  
The small chippers at the big box stores limit at about three inch stuff. If you get into bigger stuff and want a PTO chipper you're looking at about $3000 and the size of the chipper will be controlled by the PTO power of your tractor. A Vermeer 625 would probably be the cat's meow but I don't know where you'd get one. Tree trimmers and rental places have them but I don't know who sells them.

/ Chipper Shredder #4  
I'm in similar shoes and will likely get a Woodland Mills WC88 or WoodMaxx WM-8H. I don't expect to chip big stuff, but my scrub oaks aren't straight at all so I want a chipper with a larger throat that will allow them to feed. Note that these units have a "required PTO hp" but as I said I expect not to use the full capabilities of the chipper, so I expect it will be happy enough with slightly less hp.

Depending on the wood type you're feeding, you may find you need a more or less powerful unit (and attached tractor).

If I find a commercial stand-alone unit at anything near that price - perhaps up to 2x the price (for a 6" unit) - I'd jump on that, but around here they're made of gold.

/ Chipper Shredder #5  
A pto chipper has the benefit of one less motor to maintain and takes advantage of utilizing a prior significant investment (i.e.your tractor 👍). You may find that transporting the chipper to where it is needed is also a bit easier.

I was in the market for one a few years back and I was fortunate to find a good quality used manual feed chipper at a good price. You may want to explore that as an option, especially if your overall use may be limited to the project you are planning and where the chipper will see occasional use thereafter. I still have mine, and find that the convenience of using it whenever needed is huge.

I also find getting rid of the branches is extremely satisfying and using the wood chips left behind is a bonus.
Good luck with your future purchase!

/ Chipper Shredder #6  
Based on your budget RENT

Sorry but "spend somewhere between $1000 and $2000 for a good quality machine" would have been a struggle 20 years ago.

/ Chipper Shredder #7  
Hopefully someone can give me some advice.
I am looking into a chipper / shredder for my own personal use.
I have about 5 acres, half is wooded.
I want to expand my yard and cut down a few trees, make some trails and overall improve the property.
I was hoping to spend somewhere between $1000 and $2000 for a good quality machine that would help me with clean up.
Of course less than $1000 is OK as well.
Mostly pruned limbs, some small trees.
Anything big enough for firewood would be cut to size and used as such.
Anyone have any experience with these machines?
And I am not opposed to using a PTO type for my Kubota.
I'm just doing the research now and figuring out my options.
Thanks for any thing you can share.
You can get a MacKissic TPH-123 for just over $2,000. I had a TPH-122 for 16 years and loved it. Have no need now to shred up leaves because my supply dried up. So, I replaced it with a WM WC46.

The Mac is so easy to maintain. Had a Tomahawk for 10 years before, and it was a beast to rotate the hammers on. Could change out the chipper blade reasonably easy.

There are some motor driven Macs within your price range, but I strongly recommend stretching a bit and getting the TPH-123. On the Tomahawk with a motor, I'd jam it many times and stall the motor. Almost never happened on the Mac on the JD 4010, 1025R and 2025R.

/ Chipper Shredder #8  
I initially had some "unnamed" shredder/chipper. It became obvious that it was WAY too small.

I've had two Wallenstien PTO chippers. First - BX42S. Now - BX62S. I've found that this brand chipper is REAL quality. I thin my pine stands every spring. This means I chip 900 to 1200 small ( 1" to 6" on the butt ) pines every spring.

I've been doing this with Wally chippers for over fifteen years and never had a single machine related problem.

I had initial problems with pine pitch plugging the discharge chute on the BX42S. Solved by letting the cut pines dry for a year.

Now with the BX62S this "aging" situation is not required.

/ Chipper Shredder #9  
I have an MacKissic SC800, briggs and straton that ussually starts on the first pull. Great machine! The SC800 chips up to 2 7/8". Has a seperate hopper to run leaves through the hammermills. Can run up to 1" limbs through the hammermill also. 11 years of use with no problems.
If I had to do it all over again I would buy a Pto driven chipper with a 4" capacity.

/ Chipper Shredder #10  
Personally, I hate chipping. It is loud and messy. I'll chip up stuff for the wife when she isn't able. We have a Mac Kissick w/ the Briggs Vanguard twin on it. This is tedious enough let alone using a smaller machine. There is a lot to be said for renting a larger machine to see if this is worth your bother nor not. You never get as much mulch out as you hope. My wife struck up a deal with an arborist, so I snuck our machine over to the BIL and hope that she forgets we have it...