Chipper Shredder

/ Chipper Shredder #11  
I initially went with a chipper shredder that claimed 3 inch branches. LOL. It was painful to use as you had to literally stuff stuff in, then it would clog...nightmare.

I bit the bullet and went with with a towable Chipper shredder from Echo/Bearcat. Hydraulic feed is a must to be efficient in chiping. Trying to stuff stuff in wears a person out fast.

I use it at my cabin for all the slash as burning is not allowed. I cut down 7 big spruce and fir's this summer. Put all the limbs in one spot and the mound was 10 feet high by 30 feet long. My dad and I chipped all that in about 5 hours. A huge time saver.

Buy once, cry once...

/ Chipper Shredder #12  
Based on your budget RENT

Sorry but "spend somewhere between $1000 and $2000 for a good quality machine" would have been a struggle 20 years ago.
Yep. Sold my Jinma 6" self feed chipper after 4 years of hard use on CL in about 6 hours and got more than I paid for it in cash. Paid a grand used, got 1500 even more used and abused. No burn ban here so I roast the stuff. I'm a pyro anyway. You can only make so many chips and then you have piles of molding chips everywhere.

I consider chippers and tractor mounted backhoes to be the 2 most worthless pieces of equipment made. If I need a hoe, I rent a mini ex.

/ Chipper Shredder #13  
Brush piles crumble to compost over the years, always seem to leave room to pile more on by the next season. When I burn it's whole tree trunks amid long limbs and grapple-loads of brush. My 9 hp chipper has been idle for years due to the labor of feeding it.

If use is planned to be long enough that renting seems pricey I wouldn't have a chipper that didn't self-feed. Stirred chips/mulch compost quickly. Pond water/weeds and cheap ferts will speed the process. IMO stuffing a chipper is such hard work after a while. Most stuff goes through it far better when green than when dried, and blade edges last longer between re-sharpening(s).

What 5030 said, ok to have say a bit more than you need then sell when you don't. btw, WoodMaxx WM8SF would be my top/only choice. Small-mid sized Y-branches want a hopper wider (to feed more easily) than say the machine's dia capacity. Jamming 'em in otherwise adds too much labor.

/ Chipper Shredder #14  
Search this site for "chipper", "shredder", and "chipper/shredder" and you can find a rationale for whatever you decide on.

Part of "You get what you pay for" is that cheap capital costs = more in labor costs (or time and trouble) to maintain, repair, or even operate.

My $0.08 on the 4 machines I have experience with:

Troy-built "Chippewa" chipper/shredder. Hammermill is a good shredder, but low height below the screen. Difficult to maintain. O/A (n)
Kemp "Rancher" chipper/shredder (Kemp out of business) Decent design, OK for leaves and small brush, but cheaply made. I have re-built most of it, on second engine.
Wallenstein 4" PTO chipper. Good quality, pliant twigs tended to jam in constricting chute at 540 rpm.
Salsco 6" PTO chipper. Good quality, annoying "wrong way" lap seam on in-feed chute. O/A (y)

/ Chipper Shredder #15  
I have had a MTD chipper/shredder, a MacKissick 4.5" PTO chipper/shredder, and an 8" Woodmaxx PTO chipper. For me the PTO chippers are far better. The MTD was useless. I don't often chip nice straight logs that are at the limit of the Woodmaxx. I'd need much more than 32 PTO HP to do that effectively. But the 8" chipper makes is much easier to get irregular branches chipped.

It costs a lot more than your stated limit but it's much more effective.

We have a lot of brush and trees and vegetation grows fast here. We can't burn. There is always stuff that needs chipping.

/ Chipper Shredder #16  
I bought a chipper attachment for my DR rough cutter. Used it for the first time this summer and it was OK. It can chip up to a 2.5" branch but manual feed means you have to push everything through. Its tougher than I thought.

/ Chipper Shredder #17  
I love chipping or shredding. Always do it naked. Lots of fun. Did it with Tomahawk/Mac for 26 years that way.

Can do a whole tree on the WM WC46. Just stick it into the hydraulic feed, and it just chips away. It's only $2,600.

/ Chipper Shredder #18  
I had a DR 4" chipper that has 18 hp motor liked it but wanted to do bigger stuff. So upgraded to a woodmaxx 8M. Works great enjoy the self feeding and larger capacity. Definatley would go with PTO option again if I had it all to do over.

/ Chipper Shredder #19  
I initially had some "unnamed" shredder/chipper. It became obvious that it was WAY too small.

I've had two Wallenstien PTO chippers. First - BX42S. Now - BX62S. I've found that this brand chipper is REAL quality. I thin my pine stands every spring. This means I chip 900 to 1200 small ( 1" to 6" on the butt ) pines every spring.

I've been doing this with Wally chippers for over fifteen years and never had a single machine related problem.

I had initial problems with pine pitch plugging the discharge chute on the BX42S. Solved by letting the cut pines dry for a year.

Now with the BX62S this "aging" situation is not required.
I swear I learn something nearly every time you post. I was wondering about how these handled pine sap. One less lesson to learn the hard way. I feel like I owe you a few hours of labor next time I go to Washington. Thank you, sir!

/ Chipper Shredder #20  
Yep. Sold my Jinma 6" self feed chipper after 4 years of hard use on CL in about 6 hours and got more than I paid for it in cash. Paid a grand used, got 1500 even more used and abused. No burn ban here so I roast the stuff. I'm a pyro anyway. You can only make so many chips and then you have piles of molding chips everywhere.

I consider chippers and tractor mounted backhoes to be the 2 most worthless pieces of equipment made. If I need a hoe, I rent a mini ex.
My no-name chinesium 8" chipper cost me $1800 10 years ago. Something either breaks down or jambs up every 15 minutes. I really enjoy my new hobby of welding broken buttered welds and modifying mechanisms to try and make them work better. It works better than new now but that doesn't say much.

I could sell it now for more than I paid for it but I haven't found a used 12" diesel powered hydraulic infeed chipper for under $25K to replace it yet. I don't care for the idea of chainsawing all my branches into small single stems so they can fit them in a 4" manual feed chipper.