Chipper

/ Chipper #11  
I use a PTO driven DR chipper on my BX2660 with out any problems. I normally only chip branches about 2.5 inch diameter or smaller. 3 inch diameter is usually firewood. I do not recall the recommended HP for it.

I had an 18hp DR tow behind before getting my BX24. That sold and I now have a DR rapid feed PTO chipper. I chip as large as the opening will take (4-1/2") sometimes. Green pine no problem but large dry wood will slow down the engine a little but never bog it down. As everyone already commented, I too burn all hardwood over a couple inches so it fits my use well.

I've owned several DR products over the years and the all are very well engineered and built and they stand behind their products.

nfi but real happy with mine. It's not large volume commercial use but that's not what I am using it for and it works very well IMO.

/ Chipper #12  
I run a Wallenstein BX-42 on my B2320, I believe 19 PTO HP, and have chipped hemlock right up to the max of 4" with no problem.:thumbsup:

/ Chipper #13  
I'm running a Wallenstein BX42 on my Kubot 2360 and have had absolutely no problems with over working the Kubota. I chip up to 4" material with it. Purchased it at Woodward Crossings near State College and saved shipping cost by driving there with a utility trailer. Very good people to deal with. Look at their web site.

/ Chipper #14  
If you ever move up to a B series, your pto chipper might look like this:

Attachments

• Kubota B3030 & Patu Wood Chipper.jpg
    Kubota B3030 & Patu Wood Chipper.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 345
   / Chipper #16  
For those of you running chippers what's the size of the chip?
For a GEK gasification unit the particle size needs to be between 0.5-1.5 inches (13-38mm) at length.
GEK Wiki / Biomass Feed Stock Preparation
Are your chips in that size range?

Mine tend to be in that size depending on the material. The biggest chips would be 1 - 1.5 if you're putting through dry hardwood at max size. The chips are very uniform, which is nice and I find they're very usable.

/ Chipper #17  
Torque on a gas engine is NOTHING compared to torque on a diesel tractor engine. And torque is what turns your PTO...and chipper rotor.
I dispute your assertion that "Torque on a gas engine is NOTHING compared to torque on a diesel tractor engine."

The OP has a BX. This is a clue. :)

Prove me wrong using the OP's D722-E3B diesel engine and a comparable power (or displacement) gasoline engine as examples.

Wrooster

/ Chipper #18  
Well, looks like the OP made his decision, but I've owned a DR PTO chipper and now a Wallenstein BX42s. Ran the DR behind my old BX1860 as well as my current BX25. Loaned the DR to my BIL last summer and he loved it so much he bought it from me, so that's when I got the BX42s (ordered it from Woodward Crossings last year just before hurricane Irene - was a good call :thumbsup:).

Anyway, the DR holds its own against the Wallenstein better than you might think. Both do a good job, though the DR is a little better suited to smaller material whereas the Wally handles the larger material better. The Wally will plug with smaller stuff much easier than the DR while it will self feed the larger material better than the DR. As someone I think mentioned, the DR uses a belt and flyweel to increase the speed of it's smaller size rotor compared to the Wallenstein, so it's a better mach to the smaller hp BX1860. The Wally is direct drive and runs at straight PTO speed. I don't like to run my BX25 at full RPM (more like 2500-2600 for chipping) so I never make the full 540 PTO speed spec'd for the Wallenstein. Still, it has handled material up to the 4" max without stalling my BX25 so far.

As you can see in the pic's the DR is much less substantial than the Wally and weighs maybe half what the BX42 does, yet as stated, it held it's own fairly well for me. I believe they now offer an optional top discharge chute, though one that does not rotate. I was able to store the DR in my shed on a wheeled dolly; the BX42 is too large and stays on a pallet outside under a tarp (hate to leave it out, but no option right now to do otherwise).

Anyway, hope some of that helps anyone looking at these two chippers.

Attachments

• Kubota w' DR Chipper 4.jpg
    Kubota w' DR Chipper 4.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Wallenstein BX42 Chipper 004.jpg
    Wallenstein BX42 Chipper 004.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 445
   / Chipper
Well the guy never did get back to me with the Mighty Mac. So I called my dealer and he sells Mighty Mac. He said the Model TPH-122 is a good Chipper for the 1860 He will mount and cut the shaft for me. A little more than I wanted to spend but They are close buy and good people to deal with In case I have any problems Thanks For your help I will follow up when get to use it. Now how do I explain it to the Boss.Tony

/ Chipper #20  
Sounds good. I like that the TPH-122 has a shredder too. The twiggy stuff should get mulched better going through the shredder. I find the twiggy ends of branches, even if they are 1"+ at the base, end up coming out like long toothpics vs chips when going through either my old DR chipper or my new Wallenstein. Let us know how it works for you.

As far as the Boss goes, you know the old saying, better to ask for forgiveness than permission.