CK3510SE HST shifting issue

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #1  

studebaker

Tractor
troybilt pto horse
My tractor has very few hours, less than 20. The HST is hard to put into L-M-H range without feathering the forward/reverse pedals.
if you don't "feather" the pedals, a grinding noise emanates.
Is this to be expected until broken in?

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #2  
You shouldn't need to feather the pedal, rocking the machine back and forth in neutral should have the same effect. The range selector is quite stiff, but it ought ease up some as time goes along. Even my Deere 1025R would need to be coaxed now and again, and as I said rocking the machine seems to work for me.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #3  
A lot of hydrostats I've looked at had range shift levers L-M-H that were difficult to shift. It's not just Kioti and Deere, our Kubota has the exact same difficult range shift. None of the range shifters I tried at the dealers were easy.
To me it felt like the shift lever was too short, the pivots too stiff, and whatever is being moved around down in the transmission is not syncronized. Yes, some rocking back and forth helps but not every time & not completely.

My dealer told me the same thing about how it ought to ease up some with time and use. So far 1000 hrs and 15 years haven't changed our Kubota range shift stiffness at all. You get used to it - but if there is a dependable trick to making range shifts easy I haven't found it yet. However, HST+ is sure nice & that helps.

rScotty

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #4  
Mine has been like that since 2006. It is normal. You need to rock the Fwd/Rev pedal to take the load off the gears to shift it. (Preferably with foot on the clutch I should add.)

Last edited:
   / CK3510SE HST shifting issue #5  
Take an extra 3 seconds and cut the engine speed right down to low idle… That’s the trick for my tractor.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #6  
Does your shift lever have alot of play in it? They used some pc of crap roll pin to link the two together, I just took the pin out and used a 10-24 screw instead, WORLD of difference in the play

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #7  
My 2021 CK4010SE HST just passed 100 hours and am only now seeing smoother shifting.

Suggestions to throttle down, feather, rock are all good and really don't require much effort. I also have an oil can of food grade mineral oil I occasionally use to squirt down into the shifter assembly to help with this.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #8  
My 2021 CK4010SE HST just passed 100 hours and am only now seeing smoother shifting.

Suggestions to throttle down, feather, rock are all good and really don't require much effort. I also have an oil can of food grade mineral oil I occasionally use to squirt down into the shifter assembly to help with this.

You're feeding your tractor empty calories. 🤣

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #9  
You're feeding your tractor empty calories. 🤣
True that, but the shifter, ROPS, hitch pins and pedals seem to enjoy the treat.

My first year with a tractor has seriously put a dent in my clothing. I now have an additional sorted pile: one with fluid stains. All too easy to brush up against that nlgi grease.

/ CK3510SE HST shifting issue #10  
I have to put slight pressure on either pedal to get mine between ranges, I'm guessing it's because the gears are straight cut.