Cleaning woodstove glass

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #21  
Almost dripping wet paper towel followed by a dry one. Generally my stoves burn hot enough for long enough that there isn’t much soot build up.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #22  
I tried the wet paper and ashes today. It works great!

But I did blade off most of the heavy buildup at the bottom and corners. Wetting the grunge with water first sure makes for less dusty mess. A spray bottle with water does the deed!

eta

I can't say that my previous use of generic window cleaner makes a hoot of difference over plane water. It's not like washing windows where streaks matter.

With all the leaves off the trees, I've got a house full of windows that need washed. Streaks matter there!

Last edited:
   / Cleaning woodstove glass #23  
I just use a damp cloth towel on a cold glass door. Works just fine. No muss, no fuss.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #24  
I just use a damp cloth towel on a cold glass door. Works just fine. No muss, no fuss.

I liked the aspect where the paper towel "cleaning supplies" are just tossed into the cold firebox to be burnt up with the next fire ;-) Maybe you do that with the cloth too, idk.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #25  
Jotul oslo500, primary heat source for winter here, 27/7.
Burn dry wood, hot enough to prevent creosote build up, or hotter still to burn it back off (creosote condenses at 250f, will burn back off at 700f). The only cleaning I do is to use a damp cotton cloth to wipe gray ash buildup off the glass once a month or so. On startup the glass is cool, water vapor present, wood pops ash onto the wet glass. No creosote, ash just wipes off, rinse and toss in the laundry. A couple old wash cloths last a long time and are good too for wiping down the rest of the stove area.

Last edited:
   / Cleaning woodstove glass #26  
Jotul oslo500, primary heat source for winter here, 27/7.
Burn dry wood, hot enough to prevent creosote build up, or hotter still to burn it back off (creosote condenses at 250f, will burn back off at 700f). The only cleaning I do is to use a damp cotton cloth to wipe gray ash buildup off the glass once a month or so. On startup the glass is cool, water vapor present, wood pops ash onto the wet glass. No creosote, ash just wipes off, rinse and toss in the laundry. A couple old wash cloths last a long time and are good too for wiping down the rest of the stove area.
Burning a nice hot fire is a fine ideal. But in the real world, sometimes the stove needs shut down to keep from overheating the living space. Waiting until the wood load is fully charred sometimes does not fit a families schedule.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #27  
Nice thing about my bio mass corn burners, they are both on remote thermostats so they will go down to low fire and then ramp up when the t'stat calls for heat. Very convenient.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #28  
It's less of a problem for me with the bans on heating with wood.

I think fireplace/stove in rentals is problematic...

Had a home all freshly painted and new tenant smoked most of it not having a clue to open damper... I showed and provided a handout...

He was also gathering fresh cut green wood from a nearby trimming job to burn...

Can't make this stuff up.

/ Cleaning woodstove glass #30  
It's less of a problem for me with the bans on heating with wood.

I think fireplace/stove in rentals is problematic...

Had a home all freshly painted and new tenant smoked most of it not having a clue to open damper... I showed and provided a handout...

He was also gathering fresh cut green wood from a nearby trimming job to burn...

Can't make this stuff up.
You’re lucky they haven’t used gasoline to try and start a fire.