Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #21  
Ditto on this - I carry a small can and a role of wipes with me on the tractor, It also works as a hand cleaner.

Yep, same here... Just did it today when I took the BH off. Cleaned the fittings and caps with WD40 and paper towels. I Do the same before connecting them too. An ounce of prevention goes a long way!

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #22  
Ditto on this - I carry a small can and a role of wipes with me on the tractor, It also works as a hand cleaner.

and if you're in the woods with an emergency.... uhmmm.... never mind.

:eek:

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #23  
I totally agree that, that is the easiest solution, and I considered it, however the price scared me away, the price at my local hydraulic supply store was $90+ EACH, I found some online but they were still around $80 each, so I quit looking. I don't blame anyone for making that switch, it just didn't work for me.
Thats really expencive. The ones I have found made by dixon valve or Eaton are steel and between $25 to $35 a piece for the quick connect coupler (1/4" nptf) and $10 to $15 for the plug end (also 1/4" nptf), I think you may have been looking at flat face connect under pressure connectors they are around the price you where looking at.

You can find both dixon valve and Eaton on hosewarehouse.com.
Dixon valve Part number 2htf2 for the coupler and ht2f2 for the plug end. They also list the different nptf thread sizes when you scroll down.

I havent tried these yet but will most likely be the ones I get to replace the poppet style I have now.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #24  
I usually use starting fluid to clean them out.

I would think any kind of starting fluid or brake clean would be detrimental to seals also washing out any lubrication for the connectors.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #25  
Not had any issues.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #26  
I would think any kind of starting fluid or brake clean would be detrimental to seals also washing out any lubrication for the connectors.

Watched my Dad use ether for 40 years and never seamed to bother. He bought by the case.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #27  
Small plastic bags and rubber bands work great to keep the dirt out of couplers.
Easy to put on and take off

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #28  
One thing I do but notice others don't always, when I connect my lines, I also connect the male and female dust caps/plugs together to keep the dirt out of the business end of them.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #29  
I just plug the implement lines into each other once they're disconnected from the tractor.
They're still clean when I hook back up. No need to spray or wipe anything.

/ Cleaning your Hydraulic Connections/Connectors #30  
When you get done cleaning the fittings on the implement end put an old sock over the hoses and tape it snug around the hoses, they will be good till the next time you need them.