Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #22  
Not to make this a hot rolled vs cold rolled debate. But they each have different properties so depending on what you are wanting as to what is best. Cold rolled is much more accurate dimensionally....but it wont cold bend without breaking.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #23  
FYI, most if not all angle stock used to make bed springs is cold rolled or dang close to it.
My drill bits confirm that!

I've always collected those old springs and they have served me well for many projects.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #24  
Like to think they engineered appropriately to be safe.
If they are smart, they engineered it for idiots, so it would stand up to someone leaving it in place and then trying to close the cylinder with hydraulic pressure.

That would have to be much stronger that something that just needs to oppose gravity and hold up the weight if the hydraulic pressure in the cylinder went away.

A section of pipe with the right ID to match the OD of the ram would be my choice, cut it in two length wise and you have one for both sides. Both with 180 degrees of contact.

How much are you willing to bet? A life?

You put your life at risk all the time knowingly or not. If you didn’t, you would be sitting in a cave somewhere.

January 28, 1986 seven people were willing to risk their life to take a trip into space. It wasn’t cold or hot rolled steel, 7075 Aluminum or titanium that caused their deaths, an O-ring failure was all it took, seven lives and 1.7 billion dollars, gone.

Closer to home for us would be that teenager fiddling with their phone hitting us head on…

Last edited:
   / Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #25  
Messicks has the M59 loader prop called “stopper, boom” for $173. Needs pins and bumpers. Might work on other large loaders.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #26  
The loaders on our little dink tractors could be held up by a couple of 2x4's in reality, especially if they dropped the bucket or attachement.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #27  
The loaders on our little dink tractors could be held up by a couple of 2x4's in reality, especially if they dropped the bucket or attachement.
I once propped the FEL of my CUT with a 2 x 4 and left for lunch.
When I returned the 2 x 4 was well bent.
Nope, don't trust wood for that chore.

PS: my CUT only had a 4 ft bucket.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #28  
I meant blocking the cylinder (in the same fashion as a piece of steel), not a 7' 2x4 to the floor. 👍

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #29  
I meant blocking the cylinder (in the same fashion as a piece of steel), not a 7' 2x4 to the floor. 👍
Given the soft nature of the average 2x4 and the small contact patch the end of a board would have against a cylinder gland using wood as a loader prop is a terrible idea. Steel is far, far safer.

/ Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled #30  
Come on Rick, you know what I'm talking about. A couple hundred pounds of compression I'm assuming that the op is concerned about for a few minutes while checking the oil. A day long repair or service job would prompt anyone to take the 5 minutes to drop the loader completely.
I was being extreme with the 2x4 comments and possibly the op has a very leaky valve with rotten hoses in which case I'd make these repair repairs first.
Maybe it's just that I'm around loaders (big construction) where just the buckets are 5-6k pounds and this concern is more realistic.
I agree that steel is the proper method 👍