Cold Start Pre-heating?

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #1  

cannuck

Tractor
M-F 1440
My M-F 1440C with E3CD-T is soon to get its turn in the shop. Reading through the Iseki workshop manual for the engine, there is no mention of what to use and where to put an electric heating element for cold starts. I do my big snow removal with a D5H but it is a bit clumsy around buildings and equipment so the little Iseki will be needed to tidy up after the Cat. BUT, that won't work too well if I can't start it.

What are others doing? No permanent structures here yet, but I have 120/240VAC service to the yard about 1/4 mile from road (thus the LONG snow clearing required).

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #2  
My preference is freeze plug block heater elements. I've installed them on my last 2 tractors, and they start like on a summer day.
On a wifi timer, I run the heater 3 hours prior to use. Any longer the block doesn't get any warmer.

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #3  
My tractor is not equipped with a built in block heater so I bought a magnetic one, I stick it right on the oil pan... it dose the trick.

1707142482988.png

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #4  
No juice in the big barn so I rely on good starting batteries and glo-plugs. In fact, I changed out my starting batteries to 1000 CCA Group 31 starting batteries a year ago that just fit in the battery trays, 20 seconds on the glo-plugs does it. Both my M's have factory block heaters but I've never used them. So does my diesel pickup and I've never used it either. I keep my truck on a battery tender when It's parked over the winter.

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #5  
Considering what the per KWH cost of electricity is today, I don't want to increase the electric bill over what it is presently.

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #6  
I install block heaters. They are the most efficient way to heat the engine.

/ Cold Start Pre-heating?
I couldn't find anything in Iseki service manual about provisions for engine heating. Anyone know what is there?

I gets REALLY cold here, but seldom cold and snow at same time. Use my D5 to clear snow on warmer days, but want to have the little tractor if and when I need it.

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #8  
I used either a hair dryer or heat gun inside the intake a while ago and it seemed to help, but I think I was having glowplug issues that I fixed and haven't needed to do it since.

It sounds like you're having a lot colder weather than I get though.

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #9  
Sometimes one needs to have a solution immediately.
One time my father HAD to get to work the next day, in his '65 VW Bug, it had an "oil stick" heater that died. Northern Vermont, January cold snap in the late '60's. Temps were supposed to be about 40 below and his only option to ensure it warmed up was sliding tight an electric frying pan under the engine, draping some fiberglass insulation over and around the engine, frying pan and all. He cranked up the frying to keep the engine warm. Worked. Not a long term solution, but worked.

/ Cold Start Pre-heating? #10  
I installed a block heater in my 75C. Was pretty easy. The Kubota doesn’t have one and it will not start below about -25°f. The 75C will start. -25°f is a normal day in the winter, yesterday was -19°f when I got to the barn. Kubota needs at least 3 key cycles and will kick off. But doesn’t sound good for a bit.