Coming home soon... BX1800HST

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
As the title says... I will be bringing home a BX1800hst in a week or so. I've been using this machine once a week since spring mowing a friends grandmother's yard, and they are replacing it with a new 26 hp BX. They offered this one to us for $4000, without the front weights pictured but including a 4' brush hog and back blade. Has 871 hours as of yesterday.

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST #2  
As the title says... I will be bringing home a BX1800hst in a week or so. I've been using this machine once a week since spring mowing a friends grandmother's yard, and they are replacing it with a new 26 hp BX. They offered this one to us for $4000, without the front weights pictured but including a 4' brush hog and back blade. Has 871 hours as of yesterday.

Looks like a cute little tractor with some nice rubber on it.

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST
I am glad it has the ag tires and not turf tires. Having used it all summer, I am pleased with the traction they provide without damaging the grass baddly.

I will need to service it soon, current owner has been talking about needing an oil change. Oil, filters, hst oil, what else?

What's the life expectancy of these machines? What are common problems? How well does the hst trans hold up?

Any and all feedback welcome.

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST #4  
Check the HST fan for missing blades.
I think you got yourself a smokin' good deal - congratulations.
For a 12-14 year old machine, that one looks to be in great condition.
Routine maintenance and a shady, dry place to sleep and she should be moving soil & cutting grass for another 12 - 14 years.

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST #5  
I am glad it has the ag tires and not turf tires. Having used it all summer, I am pleased with the traction they provide without damaging the grass baddly.

I will need to service it soon, current owner has been talking about needing an oil change. Oil, filters, hst oil, what else?

What's the life expectancy of these machines? What are common problems? How well does the hst trans hold up?

The engine is the same one used in non-tractor commercial service... in many applications it can run for many thousands of hours with regular service. The hydraulics and HST are Kubota built and seem to be quite rugged as well if maintained properly. There are lots of 10+ year BX's...mine's been totally dependable. Note that's getting to the age when some things start to wear out... bearings, seals, hoses, etc. Pretty much typical for equipment like this and generally repairable. Bottom line, if you keep it well maintained and realize it's not a D9 Caterpillar, it should last indefinitely.

Maintenance items: Engine and tranny oil and filters. Keep the HST fluid full and clean. Use only Kubota SUDT-2 trans fluid - no substitutes. Air filters... diesels hate to eat dirt. Fuel filters (both) every few hundred hours. Keep the grease fittings on that mower deck well lubed. Change oil in front axles as scheduled. Get an owners manual if not with the tractor, and read, read, read.

A known weak spot: there's a plastic cooling fan on the underside between the engine and tranny. Blades get broken if you run it through brush and sticks. A pain to replace. If you will be doing any of that, invest in an aftermarket skid plate for protection. If you're not headed into the boonies with it, not necessary.

It has been well taken care of, seen little more than yard mowing, stored inside since day one.

I expect they have all original paperwork and books for it. I would like to get WSM for it.

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST #7  
That's a nice little tractor, we have a BX2200 and BX2660. We thought of selling the 2200 or trading it off, but it is so darned handy and I swear you can't wear the BXxx00 models. In our experience the decks are more robust and easier to work on than later models.

We had to replace some metal hydraulic lines under the deck and HST fan, but other than that just routine maintenance.

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST #8  

Looks like a really nice Kubota, just looking at the picture no dings or missing paint- I bet a good wash and polish/ then wax and it would appear as new. Good score:thumbsup:

/ Coming home soon... BX1800HST #9  
The engine is the same one used in non-tractor commercial service... in many applications it can run for many thousands of hours with regular service. The hydraulics and HST are Kubota built and seem to be quite rugged as well if maintained properly. There are lots of 10+ year BX's...mine's been totally dependable. Note that's getting to the age when some things start to wear out... bearings, seals, hoses, etc. Pretty much typical for equipment like this and generally repairable. Bottom line, if you keep it well maintained and realize it's not a D9 Caterpillar, it should last indefinitely. Maintenance items: Engine and tranny oil and filters. Keep the HST fluid full and clean. Use only Kubota SUDT-2 trans fluid - no substitutes. Air filters... diesels hate to eat dirt. Fuel filters (both) every few hundred hours. Keep the grease fittings on that mower deck well lubed. Change oil in front axles as scheduled. Get an owners manual if not with the tractor, and read, read, read. A known weak spot: there's a plastic cooling fan on the underside between the engine and tranny. Blades get broken if you run it through brush and sticks. A pain to replace. If you will be doing any of that, invest in an aftermarket skid plate for protection. If you're not headed into the boonies with it, not necessary.
Grandad nailed it.... Great advice and my thoughts exactly. The only other advice i would add is to keep the radiator and screen clean.....
Diesels dont take kindly to overheating. Good luck and nice tractor btw:)

Thanks to all for the comments and compliments... I might be able to pick it up tomorrow, if not, by this weekend.

I am familiar with the kubota engines, my former employer has an L2850 and L4310hst, and my current job, several machines have 3 or 4 cylinder kubota motors.

I like and know gear drive stuff... this is my first hst I have owned.