common insert bearing applications?

/ common insert bearing applications? #1  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
What are insert bearings commonly used for? I picked up 3 of these replacement type bearings at a local going out of business auction for a few bucks each ... just because. Thanks.

Attachments

• bearing.JPG
    bearing.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 122
   / common insert bearing applications? #2  
They are used for just about any thing with a shaft. You can buy different mounts at any farm store. You can flush mount them or mount them in a pillow block. It's hard to tell but I think the one pictured has a lock collar that you turn to lock it on the shaft.
Bill

/ common insert bearing applications? #3  
What are insert bearings commonly used for? I picked up 3 of these replacement type bearings at a local going out of business auction for a few bucks each ... just because. Thanks.

It's hard to tell by the picture but I'll give 'er a go. The inside diameter fits a shaft a few thousands of an inch smaller and is locked to the shaft by the setscrews so that the shaft doesn't turn inside the bearing. The outside of the bearing appears to be spherical. This allows the bearing to "float" and follow the movement of the shaft. This is a good setup and works very well. But if the outside of the bearing is spherical it will require a spherical bearing housing to hold it. I think this is the same thing that comes in "Pillow Block Bearings". You may want to do a search on Pillow Block Bearings. I think you will find something there.

/ common insert bearing applications?
Thanks. Now I get it... the shaft goes *through* the bearing. Like a dummy, I originally thought that the bearing joined two separate shafts, one shaft end connected to the bearing by the locking collar, and the other connected to the bearing by ??? i dunno ... welding maybe ??? duh! Hence the question.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Now, are the most typical applications agricultural related?

/ common insert bearing applications? #5  
G'day these type of bearings are used extensively in the ag and industrial areas the one you have pictured is a lock collar heavy duty type bearing the other common type is a set screw both are locked on to the shaft so that the bearing turns with the shaft and they fit into either pillow block mounts or flange plates their use is only limited by your imagination:)

Jon