Common sayings that are wrong or butchered

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #212  
Can’t see the forest through the trees. Should be can’t see the forest for the trees. Both may actually be correct but I think the second one is the original.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #213  
People who use the word ’ideal’ instead of ‘idea‘. “That’s the best ideal I heard so far.” 🙃

My dad always pronounced bomb as bum. No way I would correct him. 😁

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #214  
Can’t see the forest through the trees. Should be can’t see the forest for the trees. Both may actually be correct but I think the second one is the original.
Pretty sure the second one is the original. I haven't heard the first one, which to me is more like a report on visibility rather than expressing being lost in the details of something, unable to see the big picture.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #215  
Lol.. I’m guilty of that one..& I know better.!!

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #216  
I have heard various individuals pronounce the word "Business", as "Binness" or "Bidness"

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #217  
I tend to switch it around... can't see the trees for the forest. Meant to imply that some are so hung up on appearenced that they don't understand that cutting trees mimics nature.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #218  
Most of us on this forum have probably referred to any make brush cutter as a Bush hog.
Many of my customers called any refrigerator a Frigidaire. Others called it an ice box.
All refrigerants were referred to as Freon.
Many people mispronounced it as free zone.
Many 4 wheel drive vehicles were called a Jeep.
Some call a tricycle, or trike, a 3 wheeled bicycle.

I, also, think supper is an old timey word used mainly by country people. I have never been in a restaurant with supper on the menu. It is always lunch at noon and dinner later in the evening. When places have "all day breakfast" it merely means you can get breakfast items any time of day instead of only the lunch or dinner items on the menu.

In my travels I have occasionally had people up north make fun of me when I said y'all but I have never heard Southerners make fun of people coming down here and saying you guys or youse guys even when they are talking about people of different sexes.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #219  
Where I grew up folks occasionally used to say pank or panking snow no idea how or where that word got discombobulated into a similar meaning equating to shoveling snow?

pank
To flatten something down.

The second most common definition of our word. Â Miners panked explosive powered into shot holes, which exploded, removing rock and copper from the hills of the Copper Country, the source of our up country. Â It also means to pank the snow, something we get a lot of. And by a lot we mean A LOT, or in more conventional terms, more than 300 inches each year.

Bruce

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #220  
It may or may not be correct but it's always bothered me when someones says "graduated X " rather than "graduated from X"...(when discussing education levels etc.)