Common sayings that are wrong or butchered

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #161  
I could never figure out what a posit-box was, as in "safety posit box" at the bank, until I heard a slow talker say "safe-deposit-box".

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #163  
Royal Crown Coca Cola

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #164  
I was listening to some folks talking and realized how many people confuse or butcher certain sayings. In some cases, I guess it might be regional differences in common sayings.

Here's an example, "Take it for granted" or do you say, "Take it for granite"?

There are a ton of other examples.
Like a ton of granite? But yeah, I know what you mean. Like when someone says "I could care less". When they really mean they COULDN'T care less.
Eric

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #165  
Notary “Republic”..
“Safety” deposit box..

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #166  
That reminded me of "Notary Sojac"

Bruce

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #167  
Words change over time and wife and I live in Virginia. "Ain't" now is acceptable. I cringe when people say I "seen" a deer (cat, dog, etc.). Most people use double negatives: Ain't got no, done got, etc.
I always thought "grab" was rude when used to obtain, but it's used in ads: "grab a Pepsi".
Cars to me are either new or used. A used car now is pre-owned or new to me.
People here have funny expressions like if something doesn't work, it "Ain't got no do right" or "won't do a Susie".

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #168  
Guys say they're going to "take a leak"...but actually they are leaving one...!

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #169  
And who would take a sh&@? I’d rather give one.

/ Common sayings that are wrong or butchered #170  
Words change over time and wife and I live in Virginia. "Ain't" now is acceptable. I cringe when people say I "seen" a deer (cat, dog, etc.). Most people use double negatives: Ain't got no, done got, etc.
I always thought "grab" was rude when used to obtain, but it's used in ads: "grab a Pepsi".
Cars to me are either new or used. A used car now is pre-owned or new to me.
People here have funny expressions like if something doesn't work, it "Ain't got no do right" or "won't do a Susie".
Agreed that language evolves over time, particularly slang. Some of the stuff we learned in high school sounds stuffy today...for example when referring to something not gender-specific the old way would be "if he or she wants to", which now is generally stated as "if they want to". Of course these days there are those who identify as non-binary (whatever that means) and wish to be referred to as they, but I'm not going there.
There are some who still get all in a tiz if someone says "no problem" in response to a thank you or "can't complain" instead of "fine thank you how are you" when asked how they're doing.

"New to me" makes sense as far as a car goes...just because it isn't this year's model if you just bought it it is new to you. Pre-owned does sound a bit pretentious, but that term goes back a long way...I remember hearing a Cadillac ad maybe 50 years ago where they referred to their used inventory as a "previously owned Cadillac".

Curiously what do those expressions you mentioned mean? Never heard either before.