Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF)

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF)
im shopping for a tractor i sold my L4400 last year. been youtubing and web searching after owning a kubota i thought i would never change color. Mahindra non def or emissions motor made me look at the mahindra 3650. looking beefier than kubota. seeing 3650 had more lift cap and included 2 rear remotes 7 pin trailer plug. i like the seat and leg room, front loader joystick location, but after pricing which i always thought kubota was more money the 3650 open station fel aux port to front R4 tires was $38 to $40 k :eek::eek: priced a L4701 same set up for $30

now thinking MX4800 any thoughts on these 3 ? 60 acres mostly hilly woods 10 acres of fields which i select cut with a 88" hd alamo flail grapple on front to pick trees and debris run some buckets of dirt through screener thank you

A Kubota L4701 (3,300 pounds) will feel the same as your previous Kubota L4400 (3,300 pounds).

Kubota MX4800 has recently been discontinued. The only MX4800 inventory available is on Kubota dealer lots. The MX series is being reduced to two models from three, with slightly more horsepower and marginally improved operating station in the new MX models. Kubota should have details published by January.

An MX (3,700 pounds) will feel a little more capable and more stable on hills due to weight and wider wheel stance relative to your previous L4400. MX Loader has considerably more lift capacity and would probably be the feature where you notice a big improvement.

You have DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and DEF/Urea (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) confused. No tractor with <75-hp has DEF.

There are numerous reports on T-B-N of Mahindra sales personnel telling tractor shoppers that Mahindra tractors do not have a DPF and do not regenerate, incorrectly implying Mahindra is Tier IV compliant without emission control components. There is no Tier IV emission technology exemption for Mahindra nor Massey Ferguson, nor any other tractor brand.

Beginning about thirty-three horsepower most tractors have Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF).

If not DPF, the less used alternative emission technology is Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC). Mahindra has DOC.

Both the DPF and the DOC are honeycomb ceramic filters. The DOC forces engine exhaust over a honeycomb ceramic structure coated with platinum, palladium, and rhodium catalysts. These catalysts oxidize carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water at hot exhaust temperature.

There is no catalyst associated with a Diesel Particulate Filter. A DPF is a ceramic matrix which accumulates particulates/soot at temperatures below soot ignition temperature. During regeneration, when DPF achieves and maintains 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit temperature, accumulated soot incinerates during 16 minutes or so.

DOC equipped tractors have a DOC oven hot all the time, DPF equipped tractors have a DPF oven hot intermittently.

There is no free lunch.

Tier IV emission controls phased into dealer tractor inventories ten years ago. Old news in 2019.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) #43  
[snip]
Both the DPF and the DOC are honeycomb ceramic filters. The DOC forces engine exhaust over a honeycomb ceramic structure coated with platinum, palladium, and rhodium catalysts. These catalysts oxidize carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water at hot exhaust temperature.

There is no catalyst associated with a Diesel Particulate Filter. A DPF is a ceramic matrix which accumulates particulates/soot at temperatures below soot ignition temperature. During regeneration, when DPF achieves and maintains 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit temperature, accumulated soot incinerates during 16 minutes or so.

DOC equipped tractors have a DOC oven hot all the time, DPF equipped tractors have a DPF oven hot intermittently.

There is no free lunch.

Tier IV emission controls phased into dealer tractor inventories ten years ago. Old news in 2019.

Old news, but worth repeating from time to time. Thanks Jeff.

/ Compact Tractor Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) #44  
My mx5200 goes into regen every 20 hrs. I run it low rpm when I don't want the noise. 75 hours and only 3 regens that I can remember.