Compact Tractor Grapple Build

/ Compact Tractor Grapple Build
Having trouble seeing one picture. Don’t understand the back plate notching of the top plate interference cause? That changes the common plane the top and bottom share? It looks like upper vertical plate on the grapple doesn’t come down enough to support the tractor side ssqa below the upper wedge.

On my many attachments there is some solid plate between top and bottom on the implement side that the tractor side is mated to. The wedges top and bottom forces are distributed thru these plate surfaces.

I don’t have the hands on advantage to tell if this is a problem or source of flex. Hard to see or explain. Could the top angle of top bar be a little off requiring the back plate notching?

Sorry I have more questions than solutions.
Smokeydog,

Check post #29 second picture for a better overall view of the attachment point. Yes the notch does create an out of plane scenario, but it allows the upper wedge to sit inside fully versus being pushed out slightly. I'm going to play around with it this weekend to see if I can figure it out. Honestly, it might just be the loader bouncing around more than I'm used to with the lighter bucket that's normally on it. Also, I can take the grapple off and check where paint may have rubbed off to see if there is actual movement. If the notch is actually causing some sort of issue I can always weld on a shim where the lower tine is to pad it back out. The plate was 1/4" and the loader attachment is 1/8" so not much to pad it so there's no more gap.

/ Compact Tractor Grapple Build #42  
Something is a little off with top wedge. Took about 30 minutes for the pictures to load for post #29, second picture. Looks like the tubing and tines all line up in the same back plane. Welders use jigs, clamps and welding techniques to try to maintain squareness. That many pieces and welds coming together is a challenge.

My opinion is the top bar needs checked and a solid plate between the wedges welded. It might not be problem either.

The ssqa plates are wedged tight together top and bottom. Important the top acts as a wedge and not a pocket. Meaning it shouldn’t bottom out. Part of the marvel of the ssqa is it is easy, quick and strong. Always trying to tighten itself to compensate for wear and play.

Your fabrication skills are much above mine. I’ve only used ready made adapter plates to make equipment ssqa. They all had a solid plate connecting the top and bottom on the ends to maintain that geometry.

You have the best homemade grapple out of the best steel I’ve seen. Good job!

/ Compact Tractor Grapple Build #43  
Wow, that's a really nice job fabricating the grapple! You should be very proud of that project!!